• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not sure if I need a CDL in Florida or not?

I currently have a Class D license with E (emergency vehicle) endorsement.

Would having the E endorsement allow me to drive vehicles that usually need a CDL even if im not working or driving a emergency vehicle?

Taken from state of Florida website.
E = EMERGENCY VEHICLES - issued to those who drive an emergency vehicle, that is a commercial motor vehicle, but are exempt by law from obtaining a commercial driver license.

If not how hard is it to get a FARM CMV endorsement and are they exempt?

F = FARM CMV - issued to those who drive farm type commercial motor vehicles, but who are exempt by law from obtaining a commercial driver license.

Goose2448

Depends. From what I know, the standard lic here(Class E) covers you for everything up to 26,000 pounds or 10,000 trailer or any Motorhome(any weight, even with air brakes(yes even grandma that cant see can drive a 67,000 pound diesel pusher motor coach with air brakes)). After that you need a CDL. FL does not have a non commercial class lic like other states do. If I were you, I would call up the FLDOT and ask them this question.

Robbied46

It's really not too difficult to obtain a cdl. The first time is the worst with the testing. I would recommend if you do get one to go ahead and get a class a. This will cover you for anything you want to drive in the future and takes very little additional effort. Without the class a, if you hook to a trailer that gives you a combined weight capacity of 26,001 lbs or more, you will be in violation.

I dont want a commercial license due to the increase in insurance the requirement to get DOT physical plus the punishment is much higher for traffic violations once you have a CDL and it doesnt matter what vehicle you are driving.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont want a commercial license due to the increase in insurance the requirement to get DOT physical plus the punishment is much higher for traffic violations once you have a CDL and it doesnt matter what vehicle you are driving.

Exactly. Why would you want the added hassle that goes with having one. Now, that does not mean that you shouldn't learn or know how to drive a large truck with or without air brakes, but you don't need a CDL to learn.

I have been driving large firefighting apparatus with air brakes in heavy traffic, under high stress, etc for over a decade. I have undergone extensive training to be allowed to do so. I may not be an expert on air brakes but I do know how to test and make sure they work properly. I do not need or want a CDL. I just want to be able to legally drive a military vehicle with air brakes.

Emmett

This question has come up many times in conversations I have had. The duece would normally be considered a commercial vehicle. If it is yours and you use it for personal use, I would think a normal DL is OK but it does have Air over HYD brakes, considered air brakes as defined in the DOT regs require a CDL class B unless it's a motor home. I have asked 3 DOT boys what they thought with mixed results. Unless you get inot a wreck and then who, FHP, DOT, SO or city LEO wrote up the accident would/could cite you for not having a CDL.

It's important to note that you must have a need for a CDL to get one. You don't need a physcial if you drive "intrastate" not to be confused with interstate. I don't see how your insurance would go up as mine didn't. I hold a class B. BTW, I'm glad I'm not in Riyadh...spent way too many days there. After spending over 9 years in the Middle East, I hope never to have to return.
Knowing that I probably didn't answer your question, It might be wise to get the DOT to send you an official responce in writing. You might not be happy with the responce, but hey, you know where you stand.
Regards,
Emmett

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Knowing that I probably didn't answer your question, It might be wise to get the DOT to send you an official response in writing. You might not be happy with the responce, but hey, you know where you stand.
Regards,
Emmett
Good advice any time you deal with a bureaucracy.

Goose2448

This question has come up many times in conversations I have had. The duece would normally be considered a commercial vehicle. If it is yours and you use it for personal use, I would think a normal DL is OK but it does have Air over HYD brakes, considered air brakes as defined in the DOT regs require a CDL class B unless it's a motor home. I have asked 3 DOT boys what they thought with mixed results. Unless you get inot a wreck and then who, FHP, DOT, SO or city LEO wrote up the accident would/could cite you for not having a CDL.

It's important to note that you must have a need for a CDL to get one. You don't need a physcial if you drive "intrastate" not to be confused with interstate. I don't see how your insurance would go up as mine didn't. I hold a class B. BTW, I'm glad I'm not in Riyadh...spent way too many days there. After spending over 9 years in the Middle East, I hope never to have to return.
Knowing that I probably didn't answer your question, It might be wise to get the DOT to send you an official responce in writing. You might not be happy with the responce, but hey, you know where you stand.
Regards,
Emmett
Good point. From what I get from the FL Regs, is that a deuce would require a CDL with air brake restriction lifted. My insurance did not go up when I got my Class A, didnt go down either. I have to have my med card with me at all times, even walking, and I have a intrastate restriction because I dont turn 21 till feb. FL could make this easy with a Class lic for people that dont need a CDL.

moose97

Why do people think that your insurance would go up from having a CDL? Think about this logically for a second... You have MORE TRAINING than non commercial drivers, are subject to tighter regulations, and have to pass the physical to drive a commercial vehicle out of state. If anything, a CDL holder in good standing should get LOWER rates than a non commercial driver for having to maintain all that.

Now, not wanting to be subject to lower DWI numbers (0.04 rather than 0.08 no matter what vehicle you're driving - commercial or non) is your own prerogative, but to me, that just means that I NEVER drive after drinking - even one beer. It's just not worth it. Then again, killing someone while drinking and driving, even if it's just "buzzed" driving isn't worth it either.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the main determining factor for a CDL requirement is the GVWR. Looking at the FL 2010 CDL Handbook; if the vehicle has a GVWR of less than 26,000 lbs (Deuce is 23,000) you don't need a CDL. The air brake part only applies if the vehicle otherwise falls under the GVWR for a commercial vehicle. If you follow the flow chart to determine if a CDL is required; air brakes are not mentioned. Air brakes are only mentioned under the knowledge test requirements for the CDL, and a Deuce does not fit the GVWR requirements of a CDL.

well the vehicle I wish to drive has a weight of 19,000 but a gross vehicle weight of about 75,000 on highway. The only thing I would ever likely tow with it is a m105 or a genset. I know I dont need a CDL to drive a deuce in Florida. Im mostly concerned about the GVW and air brakes.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the vehicle? If it is not a secret!
What Phil said. It would help you get more accurate information.

Sounds like you are describing a truck tractor based on your 19,000 and 75,000 GVWR statement. If that's the case, it will fall under the CDL requirements. As far as the CDL is concerned, it matters what the vehicle is rated for GVWR wise, not what you use or tag it for. The exception would be an RV or maybe farm use.

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I was a Deputy in Volusia and Lake county, I am by all means not a DOT officer however according to the Florida Statute Handle book that I have state regardless of size and weight as long as it is Registered Military historic and not Used commercially that you do not need a CDL to operate the vehicle. This covered in statutory guidelines 320.086(6) also straight from the Florida DMV web site (http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/cdl-education.php). Under CDL Exemption states
CDL Exemptions:
Drivers of some vehicles are exempt from requiring a CDL. These include:

1. Drivers of authorized emergency vehicles
2. Drivers of military vehicles
3. Farmers transporting goods or machinery within 150 miles of their farms
4. Drivers of recreational vehicles
5. Drivers of single-unit trucks that are transporting their own goods not for sale
6. Employees of public transport systems who move vehicles from one place to another in confined areas belonging to the transport company

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interstate compact also cover you when driving a MV regardless of weight and size out of state as long as that vehicle is registered and tag in FL and your license belongs to florida. I about covered everything. So there is no need for any other class license beside your class E. I love Florida Law.

Emmett

It is no longer a "military vehicle" when it no longer belongs to the military. The intent of that clause is to exempt GI's from having a CDL while driving a military vehicle.
It is a personal vehicle when you own it. No where on my title does it say "military vehicle"
Ya know, there are many folks out there that try to twist the regs in their favor. As stated before, all you need is one DOT guy that dosen't see it your way and you will be spending money trying to convince a judge that you are the one is right.
Get the DOT to send you a letter/email that you can print out to cover your a$$. I would be willing to bet it will be very hard to get them to send you anything other than the regs that are currently in effect.

that's the problem with the statutes, there could be some gray area on interpretation. Im asking this question so i dont bid on trucks on GL that I cant even drive. So there is no truck in particular at the moment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks