• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thomas Skid Steer (Opinions)

No.2Diesel

There is a skid steer for sale by me that I'm considering purchasing but I'm not familiar with this brand of machine. I have many hours in the seats of Gehls and Bobcats, but until today I never saw a Thomas. I think they're manufactured in Maine or New Brunswick Oh Canada. Its a T170 model. About 6,500lbs. It's 1989 vintage.

The machine has 3,000hrs. on it but has new kubota with 55hrs. new hyd. hoses and tires. I'm not sure about the maintenence history of the drive chains or hyd. pump. He's asking $5k for it. Anyone know about these? Opinions? Thanks in advance.

Towerguy1

Its not a terrible machine, but not as nice as a Bobcat, Gehl, Deere, or those. The Kubota engine should last well and be able to get parts for. As a whole with 3k hours and being a secondary brand I would not want it for a front line workhorse, but might be fine as a "homeowner" machine or at least be in a position to be without it a few days to get parts now and then...

alphadeltaromeo

I have a Kubota and I believe it to be the best diesel for these types of vehicles. The run and run and run some more. Quite frankly, I think the Bobcats, etc. are quite over priced. If there isn't lots of rust, just regular wear and tear, I'd buy it for that price without question...but that's my humble opinion.

rdixiemiller

If you read the company info, it sounds like they are in some form of bankruptcy. They have been de-listed from AMEX, and have just restarted production after a hiatus of some sorts. I did a little research, they started making skid steers when the original Bobcat patents expired, along with just about every other equipment manufacturer on the planet. Looks like they are mostly owned by the S Koreans.
Nothing against their equipment, I would just be concerned about parts on a 20 yr old machine.

BEASTMASTER

the co. i used to work for had one , we used to deliver palletts of stone with it and do everything else under the sun.we ran it for 9+ years and had very little trouble with it.except when the owners kids used it and would run it out of go juice. :driver:

rdixiemiller

10-4. I just remember having an old Scott outboard motor. Good motor, but you couldn't buy any parts for it. So, when the water pump quit, I ended up junking it. I tend to be a little leery of stuff if I am not sure of the parts situation.
That's why I love my deuce!

No.2Diesel

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm doing more odd jobs that require a machine but never have enough up front cash. It is a real pain sometimes to rush knowing you have to spend time during the workday fueling and washing your rented machine and hauling it back before they close. After comparing similar machines on Rock & Dirt and Machine Trader, the asking price is fair. There are quite a few Ford Utility tractors around so the jury is still out. If I get something rough I'll deff. paint it OD or three color.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks