• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registering M211/M108 in California -HELP-

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All, I need some help here. I am in the process of getting my M211 with M108 wrecker body registered in California. Since it is a heavy truck they want to register it as comercial
which is not only expensive, but it causes problems with insurance. Does anyone have any
solution to this that knows California rules?

nf6x

Feral Engineer
If you are not going to be using it at all for commercial purposes, then you should be able to register it as a Historical Vehicle. This will exempt you from paying weight fees (which are the bulk of that huge annual cost they quoted you) or needing to stop at truck scales. On the other hand, it places restrictions on what the truck can be used for; i.e., it must be used primarily for display and parade purposes. Note that according to the CHP's commercial enforcement division, the key word is "primarily", ie. 51% or more. The DMV clerk will probably tell you that it can only be used for parades and display. Smile, nod, and don't try to correct them. You will also be able to insure it through a collector car insurance agency like J.C. Taylor, which will cost a whole bunch less than if you are going to be using the truck for commercial purposes.

Carefully consider how you will be using the truck. If it'll be a yard crane at home, and only leave home for show-off purposes (i.e., you won't be using it to drag around other trucks on the road), then the Historical Vehicle plates should work well for you. If you plan to use it as a functional wrecker on the road, then you might need to pay the huge fees for regular commercial plates.

In either case, you will need at least a class B commercial driver's license to drive it legally here. You should probably get the air brake endorsement, too, as the screwy air-over-hydraulic brake systems on may US military trucks are sort of in a gray area, leaving a cop or DMV dweeb lee-way to decide if they want to ruin your day or not.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Registered it as a historical vehicle. No problems. You may need to have a
vin inspection by the CHP. Since these don't have vin stickers, be able to show them
the serial number that is stamped into the frame. I think it is near the front driver side wheel. You may need to do some wire brushing to make it visible. They should be able to use that as the vin number. At least that is what they did with mine.
Don't just show them the data plate since that can be removed.
Good attitude goes a long way.
Good luck!

Kloakndagr

Hey Firefox when you registered your vehicle in crazy Cali what documents did you have to produce. I'm looking at a m35a2 but the owner states he only has a bill of sale and that his vehicle has never been registered. Will I have issues with the DMV trying to get tags on this in Cali? Thanks in advance, don't know where to look and saw this post, and since you are familiar with this nutty state I thought I'd ask. Thanks

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My XM211 had previous cal plates, but they were so old that they didn't have records of them. Go figure. They wanted the chp to do a vin check and since there wasn't any vin data plate, they agreed with me to use the serial number stamped into the frame which matched the dataplate on the dash.
Bruce

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks