• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electrical troubles in my M1094

DSD277

I have come to the point to straighten out the lighting circuits on my M1094. And because of the FMTV’s unique electrics, someone that has worked on them may know where my problems are.

First, a little history on the truck as I understand it:
Sometime after Sept 2009 ( truck repainted)and probably in 2010 , the truck came falling from the heavens (sounds more dramatic:smile:) and because of some type of malfunction, the truck landed and rolled onto it’s right side. It then spent the next 2 years in a field(s) in North Carolina. The truck’s roof and PDP cover were in the bed, leaving the dash and PDP (most all relays and circuit breakers removed) exposed to the climate for a couple of winters.

Fast forward to June, 2012. The flying dump truck is relocated to its new home in sunny So Cal. Truck has proper voltage relays installed and ATO fuses instead of breakers for now.

The bulbs in the composite lamps were 24v, I’ve replace them with the correct 12v bulbs.

First off, I think I have some bad contacts in the main lighting switch, as the switch occasionally needs to be flipped a couple times ( I have a new switch, and will be replacing it). the marker lamps in the composites aren’t going on, all the others work fine
The 4 way flasher works fine, all 4 lights very bright, nice flash rate. Brake lights fine. When the turn signals are engaged, the bulbs are very dim and very fast flashing. Most all this indicates to me a bad ground somewhere, and because the lights work fine with the 4 way switch, the composite lamps’ ground is good ( as are the bulbs). I’m hoping the main switch is the culprit in all this and once replace, life will be good again .

IF, the light switch doesn’t correct any of this, any suggestions? Or any ground cable locations that might cause this?
The CTIS overspeed warning lamp is staying lit… maybe a bad ground at the CTIS ecu..?

And lastly, the PTO solenoid does not shut off, even with PTO switch disconnected, obviously a crossed wire, but where?...possibly in the winch on/off switch wires? Currently, I just disconnect the wires at the PTO.

Hopefully, I'll replace the main switch and all will be good (pipe dream:twisted:)... But it would be nice if some one laughed because they had the same problem and its a simple fix

DSD277

To follow up on my original post
What I thought was going to be a major electrical troubleshooting nightmare ended up being the main lighting switch… all the exterior lights came to life as they should. Because of the symptoms early on,the switch was first on the hit list… the only residual problem after replacement is the CTIS overspeed warning lamp lights with the light switch on.

To fill in the confusion with Jim's post

It was after testing the lights that I picked up the oldlight switch, now in a small puddle of water that was leaking out around thelever gaskets, raising it to my ear and shaking it, it sounded like snow globe.With all the water inside it, I’m surprised that fuses didn’t blow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks