• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Difficulties getting Illinois Title and Registration - Any Suggestions?

wb9btz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been trying since 11/7/12 to get my M35A3 titled and plated in Illinois. I had no difficulty getting the AZ title from GL so I thought this would be a breeze.

So, I go to the SOS office on 11/7 with all paperwork and submit an application for IL title and H plates (I didnt know at the time about the new FMV plate). I chose H plates because I did not want the restrictions of the AV plate and an RV plate just would not apply to my deuce. At the time, the SOS office told me the fee for the H plate would be prorated since I was applying in the 2nd quarter.

On November 29, I receive the entire packet back from the SOS in Springfield stating that the plate fee was incorrect and that I must pay for the full year since the GL Auction ended on 8/30/12. So, I cancel the old check and write a new one for the now higher amount. I send ithe package back to Springfield Certified Mail - Return Receipt on December 1, 2012.

On December 15th I receive the entire package back from Springfield again. This time they are telling me that the plate fee is incorrect and should be prorated for the 2nd quarter. The amount they are requesting is once again the exact same amount that I originally paid on 11/7/2012. So, I once again cancel the check and write another one for the original (lower) price. I also write a cover letter detailing the ordeal to that point and requesting someone to make a decision on what the fee is and issue me my plates and title. I send the entire package back to them Certified Mail - Return Receipt on December 16th.

A few days later someone calls me and, after some discusssion, they inform me that the correct fee is the full-year (higher) amount. If I send them a check for the difference they will process my title and plate application. On December 20th I send them Certified Mail - Return Receipt a check for the difference and a cover letter detailing the phone conversation.

I received my H plates on or about the first week of January, 2013. I figured the Title would take a little longer.

On 1/10/2013 I received the title in the mail. Upon opening it I discover that they have titled my Deuce as a Trailer! Imagine having H plates on a Trailer!

I immediately called Springfield and was told that I should take all of my paperwork to the local SOS office and ask for a "No Fee Retake" on the title. They said they would correct it at no cost to me. (BTW, if a IL title is not corrected within 6 months, they get to charge you again!)

On 1/11/2013 I took my copies of the entire package to the local SOS office as instructed and filed for this "No Fee Retake" title correction. I was told that the package would be sent by courier from the local SOS office to Springfield on 1/14/2013.

Well, its been just about one month now and still no title.

Anyone had an experience like this with the IL SOS and if so, how did you resolve it? Anyone have any suggestions on how to get this resolved as quickly as possible?

Right now I'm debating contacting my State Representative and/or hiring an attorney.

I know I am not the only Deuce owner who has a vehicle titled in Illinois so I just cannot conceive that it is this difficult for them to issue a title. I wish I had a count of how many Deuces are titled in Illinois so I can make this point to the SOS.

I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions any of you may have.

Last edited:

ryan77

Your dealing with the SOS they are the walking dead! They made me have a cop verify the vin on the 1102 i bought. Even though i had a title to transfer! It then took 4 months to get a title for a $ 400 trailer!!! Good luck they employee the unemployable!!

EO2NMCB

Had the problem of IL not taking SF-97's anymore, SOS was giving me the runaround. Made a phone call to Sen Durbin's office, they said to email all info which I did. Two to three days later I receive a phone call from SOS and now they are bending over backwards to help. I'm sure that they did check the voter rolls to make sure I vote. I'd give them a call, can't hurt.

undysworld

I'd second the suggestion of contacting your legislator/s. Sometimes, the reg. agcy. just dropped the ball, and a phone call from a Senator's office is all that's needed to get things moving again. Since you seem to be the only guy in IL reporting problems, I'd be inclined to think your application just fell through the cracks. Be nice, at least to start out with.

Visiting my Senator was the first step I took after WisDOT threw my vehicle off the road. Oftentimes, regulatory agencies will listen to them and decide to help, but not always. If not, then your legislator may be your best bet for initiating legislation to correct things. That's what happened here in Wis., and we seem to be getting things straightened out.

tractors0130

I've never had any issues with the Illinois DMV submitting a SF-97 or an Arizona title, I usually submit a law cert signed by local LEO or a SOS police and get my Illinois title back in a week or so. It probably helps that my wife has worked there over 25 years to.

HMMWV Nut

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting ready to apply for a title on my M931 and M923 . Waiting on GL for a response to the SF97 form I filled out two weeks ago. Looks like I got a lot to look forward to at the IL SOS office :roll:

ryan77

I just got my sf97 for my 1009 from gsa! I hope i dont have any trouble! If i go to woodstock and the guy with glasses does it theres no trouble! Any one else its like pulling hens teeth!

wb9btz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting ready to apply for a title on my M931 and M923 . Waiting on GL for a response to the SF97 form I filled out two weeks ago. Looks like I got a lot to look forward to at the IL SOS office :roll:
I had no problem at all with the SF97 from GL. If I recall correctly my AZ title showed up in 2-3 weeks.

My only problems have been with the IL SOS :cry:.

You may already be aware of the FMV plates. If not, do a search on this site for all details. It can save you a bundle on license plate fees.

Good luck!

wb9btz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kind of restrictions do the AV plates have ?
To qualify for Antique Plates, motor vehicles, including motorcycles, must be more than 25 years old."

"Vehicles displaying these plates may only be driven to and from an antique auto show or exhibition, service station or demonstration."

My deuce is only 20 years old and I would like to drive it anywhere and anytime I choose.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I walked into the Libertyville, IL DMV.......showed them the tax paid receipt from GL , SF-97 and signed a title application for my M925. It took them a bit to figure out the manufacturer, but they found the "AmGen" for American General in their system......good to go. I received the title within two weeks.

I would suggest a walk in at the DMV to get the title corrected. Crack a few jokes, tell them what you use the truck for (getting 2x4's and McDonalds Drive thru's)......and make their day a little better, hence, make your day a little better.

HMMWV Nut

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I guess that answers that question. Ill check in to the fmv plate when I go to the DMV. My truck would qualify for antique but I wouldn't want to be limited to where I could go:driver:

wb9btz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would suggest a walk in at the DMV to get the title corrected. Crack a few jokes, tell them what you use the truck for (getting 2x4's and McDonalds Drive thru's)......and make their day a little better, hence, make your day a little better.
That's pretty much what I did on two different occasions... 11/7/12 and 1/11/13.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I guess that answers that question. Ill check in to the fmv plate when I go to the DMV. My truck would qualify for antique but I wouldn't want to be limited to where I could go:driver:

I would apply for the plate through the state (I think MaDeuce has a contact for us to work with until a permanent plate is in place.......it's on a thread in here somewhere) vs. the DMV. When I asked the DMV representative about the new plate, they had no idea what I was talking about (as they likely have never registered a FMV in most cases). I believe there will be downloadable paperwork from the SOS eventually that we'll be able to submit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks