• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air conditioner horizontal compact 9000 BTU TM

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
got this TM in a pile of junk today:
TM 5-4120-386-14
TECHNICAL MANUAL OPERATOR'S, ORGANIZATIONAL, DIRECT SUPPORT, AND GENERAL SUPPORT MAINTENANCE MANUAL

AIR CONDITIONER HORIZONTAL, COMPACT, 9000 BTU/HR, THREE PHASE 50/60 HERTZ

(approved for public release). Looks like it has everything one would need to fix one of these things.

Unfortunately they are 3-phase 8-( but anyway, the dimensions are 26" L 23.75" W 16" H. 200 lbs weight. The book says they are for shelters. It's wierd because my shelter I am almost certain has 15"x25" holes for the a/c units. Any comments on a/c hole size on other shelters?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a 6000 btu vetrical A/C. It was NOS. I hooked it up once to see if it worked. It blew the 15 amp breaker. It seems it pulls 20 amps. Works pretty good though. I'm planning on using it if another hurricane hits.
We have a 9000 horizontal at the mueseum. I've never tried to run it.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the 9000 3-phase? There are 400Hz-3ph ones and single phase ones also but they are rare.

I think Shirley's has a 6000 vertical but he was kind of proud of it if I recall. 20 amps is a whole lot for a 6000 BTU. should be more like 7-12 amps. could you have a bad capacitor?

If you want to borrow the manual I will loan it and you can copy it, it's 3/4" thick. I would really like to find a correct a/c unit, but also would absolutely need the mounting hardware since they are very heavy. Just like the military.. you can buy an 8000 BTU commercial unit that weighs 63 lbs for $120, but I bet that 200lb 9000 BTU unit cost taxpayers $1500!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the manual that came with it. 20 amps when the compressor starts. Man you should hear the fan when this thing starts. Sounds like a turbine engine spooling up.
As far as the 9000 goes. I'll look at it this weekend when i go down there.I never paid attention to see if it was 3 phase or not. It is in a long list of my projects to finish there. Borrowing the manual would be wonderful. We don't have anything on it.

INFChief

Let’s revive this - with a twist!

I picked up 2 ARE 9,000 btu 115v a/c units. NSN: 4120-01-136-2214. I have not been able to ascertain a Model #. These are 1ph, 50/60hertz

The TM’s I found appear to be 9-4120-378-14 & 378-24P. Unless my eyes have completely failed me I cannot find that plug that goes in to the holes in the compressors.

First: they evacuated all of the refrigerant. At first I thought they drilled holes in the hermetically sealed compressor / pump / motor but upon closer examination those holes appear to be threaded.

Question #1). What goes in those holes? A fusible (thermal) plug? Where can they be purchased?

Second: it appears there were 2 supply sources for the compressors; KECO & WELCO. Unless my Google search skills have dramatically diminished, they are no longer active.

Question 2). I prefer not to buy a complete compressor but I am curious what the direct replacement would be?

Third: they’ve yanked the wiring off of a few capacitors. I have found military part #’s and Grainger part #’s.

Question 3). Does anyone know of a reliable source for the capacitors or aftermarket equivalents?

Capacitors: PN: 13222E9171-2 (Grainger # 6X660 or 2GE83). 13225E8430-2 (Grainger # 4CU58 or 4X662).

Compressor NSN: 4130-01-586-7119. Western SKY PN: MILR9VAC610.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dzlfreak00

Let’s revive this - with a twist!

I picked up 2 ARE 9,000 btu 115v a/c units. NSN: 4120-01-136-2214. I have not been able to ascertain a Model #. These are 1ph, 50/60hertz

The TM’s I found appear to be 9-4120-378-14 & 378-24P. Unless my eyes have completely failed me I cannot find that plug that goes in to the holes in the compressors.

First: they evacuated all of the refrigerant. At first I thought they drilled holes in the hermetically sealed compressor / pump / motor but upon closer examination those holes appear to be threaded.

Question #1). What goes in those holes? A fusible (thermal) plug? Where can they be purchased?

Second: it appears there were 2 supply sources for the compressors; KECO & WELCO. Unless my Google search skills have dramatically diminished, they are no longer active.

Question 2). I prefer not to buy a complete compressor but I am curious what the direct replacement would be?

Third: they’ve yanked the wiring off of a few capacitors. I have found military part #’s and Grainger part #’s.

Question 3). Does anyone know of a reliable source for the capacitors or aftermarket equivalents?

Capacitors: PN: 13222E9171-2 (Grainger # 6X660 or 2GE83). 13225E8430-2 (Grainger # 4CU58 or 4X662).

Compressor NSN: 4130-01-586-7119. Western SKY PN: MILR9VAC610.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dzlfreak00

Did you find out any info on this? I just acquired a few of the horizontal 9000btu units and I was looking for info or a source to get the power cord and how to hook it to a mep002a

Guyfang

Staff member
There are at least 4 different kind of 9000 BTU units that I know. So lets start with basic info. NSN? Model #? and the data plate may tell you the TM number.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks