• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Needle gun/Scaling gun

WTF D00D

I just wanted to pass this info on to anyone who may not know cause it seems many have never heard of these. I used them on tug boats when I was a kid to remove old paint and have noticed sometimes the old military paint laughs at sand blasting...lol. It wont laugh at these...I'm sure some have seen these, but for those who havent, save yourself some time...

Just in case you never heard of one, they work great on everything but body panels.

http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.com/ir/ingersoll-rand-standard-duty-needle-scaler

rickf

Great for knocking rust off of frames. WEAR EAR AND EYE PROTECTION! You will need a healthy size compressor or a large air tank.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We didn't really need this thread. Any Sailor who has ever been on a ship knows what a need gun is. Any Sailor on the ship in a shipyard is especially sensitive to any discussion of the metal wood pecker you hear waking up, going all day and when you go to bed.

Anchors aweigh baaabyyyyy!!!!

:)

PS They do remove rust and scale too.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve,:funny:

A sailor - need gun... ehh, I mean needle gun!:)

And YES, I agree with the OP: a needle scaler is THE TOOL to remove those several layers of thick, old CARC paint; where sandblasting would take forever.

After countless work-hours the needles on mine are already worn down to half the original length, and now I can't seem to find replacement needles for it.
So, can anyone recommend a real good scaler - HD, preferrably US-made? (I'm not so sure that I want the one linked above... even if it says IR?)

G.

rickf

You can get the same one as above from Harbor freight cheaper. Yea, I know where it is made but it works and they sell the needle kits. I can buy four of those guns before coming close to the price of an American one. I save that money for the impact guns and hand tools, US made only!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used the heck out of mine. Tractor rims, and outside of brake drums. Need it for the salt of ohio.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No such thing as quiet when it comes to needle scalers.

Rust builds up in the grove on the backside of the drum, that the backing plate fits into. Then you get scraping noises when it rubs. Just a habit to needle scale the rust out whenever drums are off.

bigboy44

I used these on oil platforms to scale rust! Ever try to cut rusted plate with a torch? A plasma cutter works great on rusted iron but a clean cut with a torch is impossible.

Would you all recommend the scaler instead of sand blasting to prep a set of hmmwv wheels for a new coat of paint?
Thank you,
Paul D
I'd start with the needle scaler and do the finish cleanup and metal prep by blasting. The needle scaler will knock off the flake rust and paint, but won't touch the good bonded paint or deep rust. Sandblasting will take what the scaler didn't and leave a good "tooth" to the surface of the metal for your primer to bite into.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:

Besides that, HMMWV wheels come powder-coated and that kind of paint is very tough if it had to be removed completely.
Surface wet-sanding (400 grit) plus phosphating of any blanc spots- has worked best for me, to prepare for a new coat.

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks