• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternators alternative set up

Csm Davis

I have a 1010 and 1009 that I am thinking about setting up this way. Before anyone jumps my crap I have set up lots of 1009 cucvs to run the way they came from the factory, but the 1010 never worked right from the factory. I have read almost every thread on steel soldiers about 24 volt alternators and 12 volt cucv alternator setups. What I am looking at doing is putting a 12 volt alternator with a 24 volt alternator and doing different systems on the same truck, ie taking the upper alternator from the 1010 off and replacing it with a 12 volt alternator. this will leave me with a need for 1 more battery but I believe I could even do with just 2. I want keep the 24 volt starting an air conditioner set up and heater set up on the 1010, if this works for the 1010 why not the 1009?
I believe this is the way it should have been set up from the factory. If you have any constructive criticism please voice it here if it is not anything but arguing about why to keep it factory don't even post it will be ignored.

richingalveston

I think it is a definately possible on the 1009 but I believe you would need a third battery which would not be that hard to squeeze into one of the existing trays. doing the two systems with only two batteries would probably cook the 12volt battery since it would be getting double charged. the 12volt battery could be smaller also since it would only be running the minimal 12volt items and the glow plugs at startup unless you kept them 24 volt.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What would you gain by doing that with an M1009?

Why does the M1010 need the 24v for (that a M1008/09 doesn't)?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1010 requires 24V for the air conditioning as well as normal starting. When chevyc60 (Roy) redid my wagon he eliminated the duvac and installed 2 12V Leece Neville one wire alts. It works flawlessly and maintains all factory features. It's brutally simple and requires no attention.

Csm Davis

What would you gain by doing that with an M1009?

Why does the M1010 need the 24v for (that a M1008/09 doesn't)?
Free on 1009 if I do the swap and I get a easier to get parts for system( no off the wall isolated alt needed) and the same for the 1010 and the 1010 needs 24v for the AC and heater for the box. Also a separate 12v and 24v system will be easy to maintain and work on the only places it will go together is at your modification and maybe the AC.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What 24 volt alternator are you considering using?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Additional info on my setup. The Leece Neville alts on my M1010 bolt right in. They are 165A and isolated ground by design. Quite popular in over the road trucks so easy to get. One alt wired to front battery and one to rear. Net result is everything works just as the truck was delivered. It still retains all 24 and 12 volt functions. FWIW electronics is Roy's forte.

Csm Davis

That's what got me to thinking about this trying to fix the ambulance without spending a lot of money, nice system recovery4x4 just don't want to go buy two new alternators that I can't find when I am on the road far away from home. 12&24volt non isolated ground are easy to get almost any where.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, I mentally overlooked that info because of this statement (I get a easier to get parts for system).

I have never owned an M1010. Are those alternators common or are the parts more readily available than the AC Delco 27si?

I have never had any trouble buying parts(locally or internet).

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
two new alternators that I can't find when I am on the road far away from home
I carry a spare on long trips. I kinda expect that is the norm, when your running a nearly 30 year old vehicle.

All though, I know I can buy the $80 standard alt at any store, and simply use the internals in the old alts(isolated grounds).

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The alts on my truck are common on over the road trucks. Many Freightliners dealers are open 24-7 and have these on the shelf. Nothing like being able to source alts at O-dark thirty. Jeff, I see your point in initial cost and frankly, I think the 24-12 system will work.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 1010 was changed to 12v when I got it and we just discussed adding the 24V alternator back in and separating the two systems. The back gets hot when.....well never mind....lets just say that the back gets hot and A/C would be nice. Don't think we'll use the heater because I'm sure the truck needs to be running for the batteries to constantly turn the fan but it'd be nice to see it work.

Electrical is not my favorite hobby so I'm glad someone else is possibly going to do this first.

CUCscribed

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks