• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aervoe Paint Warning

m38inmaine

I ordered a can of Aervoe 997B(24084) semi gloss olive drab from one of the MVM advertisers. When it arrived the label on the can is correct, however the cap and inside under the cap on the can lists WWII 987A. So I tried some and sure enough it was WWII 987A. I called Aervoe customer service and unless I bought it directly from them they would not help, they wasted my time explaining why when it would have taken less time just to mail out a replacement can. Lousy customer service, if you are as displeased with Aervoe as I am give them a call its free, and perhaps wake them up. I would hate to see someone spend lots of time and money on a project and start spraying the wrong color on! 1-800-227-0196 PST 7-5pm

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got my Aervoe 24084 (997B) from

Alan Haage (609 953-1003)
34 Maine Trail
Medford, New Jesery 08055

The paint is a perfect match to the original (none of that brownish stuff) and because of that, I'm sticking with Aervoe on this one.

m38inmaine

The advertiser is sending a replacement can. I called Aervo because it was them that mislabeled the can, I was hoping they would go good for it to save the dealer from shipping costs. I will continue to use the paint but I am very disappointed with the customer service. My main reason for posting was to alert those using this color so they make sure they have the right color.

mangus580

Honestly, I understand where Aervoe is coming from on this... Its tough to take something back as the Manufacturer, when it was purchased from a reseller...

BTW, what advertiser helped you out? They deserve a Kudo's...

jatonka

I heard about that particular mis-labeling problem more than a year ago from one of the major Aervoe dealers, at that time Aervoe had contacted him and advised him of the problem and he immediately dealt with it. I'm surprized that you are just now getting that paint. Very interested in who your dealer is. JT

littlebob

Just a thought, your supplier might have switched lids checking on older pait to see if it was still viable. I agree you should take the product problems back to the supplier and try to see if they can solve your problem. I sell plumbing products and our customers always cuss us out first and see what we can do. Any warrenty stuff is usually handled to through the distributor that sold the product. The maker has no record of you buying the product and I could understand how they would be reluctant to send new product to replace stuff they don't even know if was
purchased.
Littlebob

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure if they changed their formula in the last few years, but I've seen terrible fading problems from Aervoe paint. I've seen semi-gloss that literally turned to pink! I've seen this on several trucks with Aervoe paint...not just one or two...and with different variations of green (i.e., not just semi-gloss). I did hear that they were going to change their formula, but I never heard that they actually did. I always go with CARC, but, if CARC was out of the question, I'd suggest Gillespie over Aervoe any day. I've had great luck with Gillespie. I once gave an M105A2 a Gillespie resto (spray can paint job). That trailer sat outside for three years with that paint and I never noticed any fading. I will say that I used Krylon ultra-flat black instead of the Gillespie black, which I've found to be a bit shiny for my liking.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not worrying about the fading, the color match is great (never liked the Gillespie brown for their 34087) and few carries the assortment of colors Aervoe does. Try getting Earth Yellow from Gillespie and Randolph is impossibly high when buying individual cans.
I started using the Aervoe 24084 on my XM757 and will report back after a year or two.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, I agree with you 100% on the color choices. That is the drawback with Gillespie. When I got into this hobby, they did not even carry the correct colors for the 3-color camo scheme! They don't have even have a color that comes close to 686A tan CARC. They suggest that you use sand, but it is way to brown/gray and is darker. Actually, the Aervoe sand is closer to the 686A tan, but is still pretty far off the mark.

Are you bringing the XM757 to Aberdeen this year? I'd love to see it.

Jones

For the purists, and because most stuff surplussed these days has been CARC applied; if you're running CARC you need to use CARC as a touch-up. > For spot touch-ups we use a make-your-own-rattle-can kit that consists a spray head, small paint pot (little screw-on glass jar) and a cylinder of compressed propellant gas; much easier than dragging out a full-sized paint rig.< CARC's the only thing that doesn't register as a bullseye spot when applied over CARC; especially in operations involving the use of night vision gear though I realize the closest thing to battlefield conditions here stateside may be fighting over a parking space at the local WalMart.
As far as matching colors goes; every paint fades. Using the same brand throughout assures you that everything will fade uniformly.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will fade and fade badly. The 24084 by Aervoe will turn a grayish color in the sun. don't think that will match anything.

jatonka

Okay, proving my dumbness here, what color name is 24084? I have three trucks painted with Aervoe semi gloss that live outdoors in Upstate NY thru thick and thin. They have been thru 2 winters and 1 summer. I really don't think they have faded any noticeable amount. I painted my shop van (M-109A3) 5 years ago and it has never been under cover. It was done in Aervoe Forest Green. It has faded a lot in the last 2 seasons. But, I painted one coat over a rapid wire brush job on old CARC. I used just a gallon on the whole shop van. Surely not a pro. paint job. I have no complaint with their paint. And I am very happy with Aervoe spray cans, they always work til the paint is all gone. NOT my experience with the other main brand. My comments are only personal observations. John T

Jones

John, With the possible exceptions of "olive drab, desert tan or 383 green", I don't think very many of the mil spec colors are named except by the hobbyists, both scale modelers and us 12" to the foot guys. The 5 digit FS595b codes tell 1XXXX = gloss, 2XXXX = semi-gloss and 3XXXX = flat. Deeper in it's generally, but not always, X0XXX = browns, X4XXX = greens, and so on. Your 24084 looks like a semi-gloss dark green to almost black in my FS595b color fan deck. Check out www.colorserver.net if you want an idea of how a particular color looks but keep in mind that it's only as close as your computer monitor can come in the color rendition.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John, the Aervoe 997B (24084) is a Semi Gloss Olive Drab and is listed as "New" by advertisers in MVM.
The 24084 was recommended to me by David Doyle as THE color for late Vietnam era vehicles (my 1969 xm757) and I got sample cans from two different places with the same batch number.
I settled on Aervoe because I simply can't pay $187/gallon from places like Randolph products....
Alan Haage gave me a six pack for $20.

Samples images below may not show up well on your puter because of settings etc, but are representative. Indoors ( I paint small parts indoors), the color looks very dark and just right IMHO based on memory and vintage pictures.
As far as the fading bit, I'll keep a can in the glove compartment for emergencies. :)

Bruce, I love working on the 8x8 and would love to show it off, but cost is always a factor for me and I don't fully trust the decades old tires to make the 950 mile roundtrip. It looks like the HIAB deuce is the most likely candidate at the moment. My slots are N3 P3 Blue section.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is how David put it:

"The FS595B 24084 should be darn near a perfect match for FS595A 24087, and FS595B 24084 is available from a number of commercial paint makers. 24087 is a radically different color between FS595A and FS595B.

The problem that many enthusiasts experience, especially those new to the hobby, is that when the classic M-series vehicles were built, the Federal Standard in place was 595A - but today the Federal Standard in use by the military, industry, and hence the paint companies, is 595B. Almost all colors are the same in both number and colors between the two standards - BUT our beloved semigloss OD is the exception to the rule. The number 24087 appears in both standards, but the shade changed rather dramatically.

HTH,
David Doyle"

tklm539

I plan on using 997b on my M35 and M105 trailer. Could anyone advise me on how many gallons I will need. ( I will be spraying with airless sprayer)

Also, what primer and thinner should be used with it .

Thanks

Tom

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
From the Aervoe site(camo paint download .pdf file).

http://www.aervoe.com/productcart/pc/techdata/tech_paintsCoatings.asp

For brush or dip
application, no thinning required. Stir thoroughly. For
spray applications, thin as needed with Aervoe 908,
494, or 909 thinners. Do not use mineral spirits. Apply
two thin coats rather than one heavy coat. Additional coats
may be applied within 2 hours, or after 72 hours if needed.
Use at temperatures between 60° and 90° (16° and 32°C)
for best results

The Stolly took 4 gallon's MC Green(992) and 1/2 gal Black (before thinner). Paint was reduced about 50% w/acetone and naptha mix. A hardener was added. Temp was 90*F. Dry time 5 min. Pressure feed the binks from 2 gal pot. Bare aluminum was etched,di-cromate conversion, then epoxy primer(Ditzler DP40/401).

Very good results. One complaint - black is glossy. Cans handy for touch up+small parts.Paid $30 Gallon. Neighbor Dave P. provided his shop,his equipment,a gal of his 992 when we ran out, and his time. Thanks Dave.

JimK

p.s. Painted a few cars(20?), some for show. Always try for perfection but [we should] keep in mind the auto industry didn't try for show quaility. MV's perhaps even less so. With MV's things like a bit of overspray around a stencil, small runs (heaven forbid)... may be tolerated, or even considered approriate, durning some restorations.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks