• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CLEANING DATA PLATES

No.2Diesel

This is somewhat MV related... What is the safest way to remove paint from a data plate without removing the important stuff? Acetone? A heat gun?

I just acquired a Vintage Cletrac model EHG crawler c.1937-41 with a 30HP 4cyl Hercules gas motor. It's complete but needs "the works." The previous owner "schlapped" some thick yellow paint over everything to keep it from getting worse out in the bush. I will post some pictures within the week showing its recovery. I rescued it just in time. It was starting its descent back to die Teufel :twisted:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess I need to add that you'll have to rub/wipe with a rag for a bit, but I was able to restore a plate to near original condition...at least it looked original compared to the faded area that had no overspray!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a couple plates that are so-so, and only partially covered by paint. If I get the chance, I'll try out oven cleaner on one, and paint thinner on another, and post pics to compare the results this weekend.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think you can restore the background color once it has faded badly. You might have trouble finding some of the more rare dataplates, but most of the common ones are around. Try www.mvdataplates.com.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Blake: Brake fluid will restore a plate that is seriously sun-faded? Very cool if this works... :D I'll have to try it out on all of the plates I've taken off and replaced over the years. I did not think anything would bring them back.

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should have read this before I tried using Xylene to clean my axle data plate. I first tried paint thinner but that didn't seem to work to good. The Xylene cleaned it off pretty easy. However, it also did a good job of taking the lettering off of the plate.

DeucesWild11

An old thread but I wanted to add my cleaning method. I had allot of CARC overspray on my data plates, allot.. Sorry no before pics.. I took off the hard stuff with a razor blade at a very flat angle to the plates.. carefully which did not damage the plates, did it on a few of them. For the lighter stuff I used Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish. It's just what happened to be in the garage but it worked great, brought the plates back to life.

Here are some pics. Also, my truck used to be a firetruck.. I would possibly consider selling the related FT plates to someone who is looking for them.. Kind of like the history though..haven't decided yet..

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks