• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton GVW and GVWR

yeager1

Can anyone tell me what the empty weight and GVWR of a 5 ton is? M54 or M813 cargo. I know they vary allot, but the numbers I have seen online are all over the board- 15k to 23k empty and GVWR's up to 55k. The reason I ask is I want to know if I can register a 5 ton as a non CDL truck in Colorado. In Colorado, they don't look up the GVWR- they simply title it for whatever you tell them (seriously), but the empty weight needs to be right. Whatever the difference between the empty weight and stated GVWR is you payload capacity. If for example the empty weight is 16k and I register it for 26,000 GVWR, my payload capacity is 10,000. But if the empty weight is much more than that it probably wont work. Also, does anyone know the overall lenght and width?

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This reply is to Yeager. It could get complicated eliminating one rear axle because of the way the suspension is made. If you put in an auxiliary, remember the front drive is automatic, and it would kick in when you shift the rear drive into OD unless you disable it with an air valve I could describe to you. As for the duece, we have an M35A2 we have turned the fuel up on with a whistler turbo that I am sure would pull it. We went to Indy (120 miles) and towed home a 5 ton tractor with it and never shifted out of the truck's normal overdrive gear on any hills. Since we have had several five tons, the deuce is like a nimble pickup truck in comparison. Deuces used to look big to us!!

Marti

Wolf.Dose

According TM 9-2320-260-10 the military curb weight of a M813 is 21020 lbs w/winch, 20355 lbs w/o winch. For the M813A1 the military curb weight is 21120 lbs w/winch, 21355 lbs w/o winch.
According TM 9-2320-211-10 the military curb weight of a M54 is 192300 lbs wo/winch. For the M54A1 the military curb weight is 19480 lbs w/o winch.
Hope that helps.
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks