• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goat Update

jfnemt1ff1

Thanks: I am starting to feel a little preasure.After I hook up a little more small parts on the engine,Iam going to up one more coat of paint on. Then it is on to finishing up the wiring and putting it all back together. I hope to be done by mid-april so I could put some some miles on it befor the trip to aberdeen. :D

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good John, a lot of progress. See guys? Having a garage really helps in the cold weather, you can actually get stuff done on your rigs when its snowing! (unlike my pile under 6 inches of snow for the past month)....;)

JDToumanian

JDToumanian (Jon) knows his 2-cycle Detroits and I'm sure he can help you if you run into trouble.
Great looking goat! I wouldn't mind owning one of them someday... I do love those old Detroits! I bought my deuce in non-running condition, and if the engine turned out to be junk I was going to put a 4-53 in it. It was bittersweet to discover that it's whistler was in excellent condition...

The goat engine is more than just aluminum head, the entire engine is aluminum. They're a popular engine for 2-stroke nuts to put into pickup trucks because they fit easily and they don't weigh 1,100 lbs like the iron version. I'll be out here watching if you have any trouble, but once you get the air out of the fuel lines, (an outboard motor rubber squeeze bulb from WalMart plumbed to the fuel inlet works great for this) it will probably fire right up. Make sure the "mouse trap" energency shutdown flap is working (it's on the blower housing) Detroit governors can stick and cause a runaway. Remember that if you test the mouse trap, it does not self-reset... You will need to do it manually.

Regards,
Jon

1958 M274

As far as I know, goats don't have the "mouse trap" air shutoff flapper... If you are ever worried about a run away on startup, start it in high gear, high range with the clutch in. That way you can stall the engine if it starts to run away. Not that that would work in this case since the goat in question isn't fully assembled...

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
When I worked as a roustabout we would have trouble with the diesels in our trucks and rigs running away on natural gas blowing from a well. When that happened, someone would scramble to yank the mushroom off and cover the intake with a board or stuff a jacket in the intake. You could do that too. Just make sure if you test fire it without the air filter housing on, that you don't let something get sucked into the supercharger ;) That goes for any of your long-haired friends and shirt tails too :shock:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks