• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trans question

lonewolf90

I was wondering what manual trans will fit in my 86 1008 would like something to bolt right up with out having to do anything major i know I will need a clutch pedal I would like a 5 speed if there is something is it a hydraulic style.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing bolts right up without some modification. Some require more work that others.

With time and $$$ anything is possible

The cheapest easiest bolt up is probably the SM465...they were used in GM pickups, vans, and medium trucks from the late 60's until the mid/late 80's they are nearly bullet-proof. You can pick them up used for $100-300, and get them rebuilt for a few hundred more. However the only thing you gain with it is a granny-low 1st gear...there is no overdrive.

Another 4spd option is the NV883. They were used in Chevy and Mopar trucks, cars and vans in the 70's and 80's. They have an overdrive. However, I'm not sure of their availability, I don't think they were uncommon, but certainly not as common as the sm465.

The NV4500's are great you get the best of all worlds, but the Chevy versions are pretty rare, and can get kind of expensive, but there are a decent amount of guys who have done the swap into their CUCV.

chevyCUCV

Late Sm465, nv4500, and th400 are all the same case length(Meaning you use same driveshaft, crossmember, transfercase, )

NV is most popular, and most expensive. and requires special fluid.

Sm are cheap, common simple, generally indestuctable from what i have read

southdave

NV4500 bolts in older style gm can be had for about for about 400 bucks or so mostly I would find one that has blown 6.5 diesel in front of it. that way you get the flywheel/clutch and starter.
Mine was 2 wd and bought the parts for the swap to 4wd, I have about 1000 buck into it all.. it made the truck usable

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks