• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering Failure Accident

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This topic is dicussed in M211guy's thread, but it needs to be covered here as well. On 27 May 2012, a M211 tour truck being operated by a private tour group lost steering and went over a embankment, rolling over and resulting in 1 loss of life and 4 severe injuries. This occured in Del Muerto Canyon, Arizona, on an off road trail. Pictures posted online by a survivor, clearly show the steering drag link free from the pitman arm, right after the accident. The nut had worked it's way off. Lesson learned for us: Do your PMCS checks! Loose nuts and missing cotters means your truck is NMC (not mission capable) and goes on the deadline!

Attachments

Last edited:

M211guy

You know i was a little irritated that someone kinda threw that in there at first but couldnt agree with you more..... And what I have seen from these trucks is they kept them maintained for sure, they had 3 full time mechanics doing so. I was just talking to my mechanic buddy today about checking all the little things such as cotter pins and steering compnents that seem to slip the checklist more then it should. That accident sure does make you pull into the garage and do a twice over!!!!! Everyone should have a detailed checklist for sur!!!

Artisan

There is hardly a day that goes by that I do not
think about building a ROPS for my M925A1.
These trucks have nothing to protect us.
This is making me think harder.
I have visited the subject.
I have built ROPS past,
but this is an extra
20,000 pounds.
Still Doable.
I hate to
change
stock
looks.
Perhaps
build it in
the front part
of the cargo box.
Build it concealed,
under the camo canvas.
There is a space between
the troop seats and the front
bulkhead of the cargo box. Maybe
open up holes straight to the frame
and build up w/ square tubing like a bull
dozer, new model and heavy might have installed
leaving the cargo box free to flex as it is intended to.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just think of all the guys who jump in a running truck just purchased, and never even think to look over all the little details.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eric, I am so happy that you stated that. I have posted on here many, many times the risks associated with driving unknown trucks out. It almost seems as though that is considered the thing to do. Man, I HATE paying for shipping just like I HATE paying sales tax, but I do both...because, to me, that is part of the price of buying something.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know i was a little irritated that someone kinda threw that in there at first but couldnt agree with you more..... And what I have seen from these trucks is they kept them maintained for sure, they had 3 full time mechanics doing so. I was just talking to my mechanic buddy today about checking all the little things such as cotter pins and steering compnents that seem to slip the checklist more then it should. That accident sure does make you pull into the garage and do a twice over!!!!! Everyone should have a detailed checklist for sur!!!
You're welcome. Don't know why you would be irritated though.

Last edited:

Flyingvan911

My motto is be very familiar with every aspect of your vehicle and pay attention to even the smallest part. A life was lost due to a cotter pin that would probably cost less than 50 cents or so.

M211guy

I was probably just braggin about what I got then a big negative stab, even though wasn't my fault for accident, no worries though!!!

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can understand being justifiably excited and proud of your huge MV score, but don't take my posting the blog link as a negative stab. It's a safety reminder.

And I agree that the trucks appear to be maintained, just not very well with an attention to detail. Just a guess, but had it not been for the unfortunate accident, you might not have been able to purchase this fleet. And it appears to this former Navy heavy equipment mechanic that the accident was totally preventible. The photos I saw don't show a failed part, they show failed maintenance.

And you're right, none of it is your fault and I praise you for saving these from the scrap pile.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks