• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New buy - Armstrong MT-500EC

charlietango

Just found a rare bird. A Canadian Armstrong (who sold out to Harley Davidson) MT-500 electric start. The brits used these a lot but none of theirs had electric start. I have serial number 0069. I will post photo's up later.

Has a ROTAX engine lol.
In the mean time I posted a stock photo of what it looks like.
MT500_std.jpg

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Nice score, they are better suited for up your way. My buddy has one and down here it overheats if it idles for awhile.

Attachments

charlietango

Nice! is his the 500 or the 350? If its the 500 looks like he did the modification to run the 350's disc brake which is something I want to explore...
If he has parts tell him to get in touch with me....

charlietango

OK as promised here are the photos and a pre-write up;

Here it is, Acquired March 15 2013. Photo's taken March 17 2013. Temperature -18C

Started with full choke, ran 5 mins and moved to half choke. Another 5 mins moved choke to off and she purred like a kitten. The throttle cable I suspect is too long or perhaps routed through the wrong way. Or maybe it was just too cold for the jetting to keep up but the adjustment on both the carb and the throttle housing are all the way out and its still barely idling. If I turn the handlebars all the way right turn it stretches the cable enough to hold idle. I will explore further when I get my new carb boot (old one torn).

Rode around the neighborhood (yes in the snow ;) ), going to explore the timing because Im getting some backfiring on heavy throttle blips through the pipe and airbox. I suspect it might be one tooth off. There also seems to be some oil leaking from the head bolts or somewhere around that area. Will pin-point when it gets warmer. Maybe the seals are just needing to be wet as this bike sat for 15 or more years. I also just had the head and cylinder split as we suspected something dropped down the spark plug hole< found part of a bbq lighter inside. >

Thats it so far. Going to take it in for its safety certification and get a professional mechanic give it a once over. Can't wait for spring....IMG_0323-1.jpgIMG_0322-1.jpgIMG_0324-1.jpgIMG_0325-1.jpgIMG_0328-1.jpgIMG_0330-1.jpgIMG_0331-1.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks