• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding A/C to a M35A2

sldinc

I see all this discussion about heat.
Well in Texas, we have plenty of heat.
So I'm planning on installing a/c in my deuce.

Has anyone out there done this?

I plan to buy a GM compressor with a 12Vdc clutch, power it through a 50 Watt dc/dc converter.
I already have a 24Vdc 3 spd blower.
Then build a box around an evaporator, connect the blower to the box, and put the condenser in front of the radiator.

All sounds simple enough :confused:
Any input or ideas?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's 2 other ways. The Gov't made a cool inverter that was basically a 24V motor on one side and a genset on the other. Draws nearly 60A but runs a 5000BTU window unit. Also for the hardtop guys I think Reddot makes a 28V roof unit. Just add condenser and compressor.

Desert Rat

Actually, Thermo King makes a unit for the Deuce. The compressor mounts just above the generator and the unit mounts just below the glove box. The complete kit installed is about $1500 or so from start to finish and can be made to look like gov. spec.. I've seen them in Indiana when I was still living there and are available in Texas as well. They have complete repair coverage from coast to coast. It's available in both 12V and 24V configurations. As soon as I have the ca$h I'm getting one installed. Contact your local Thermo King dealer. They can set you up properly.

Flatlander

Another option is to use the contained unit used on Hummvees in Desert storm. There is a small Kubota diesel motor that drives the unit. Mount it in the bed, pipe it into the cab. Whole thing is about three feet by two feet or so. There are some here in Lubbock, Texas at a place that sells govliquidator stuff. People around here put 'em on their tractors!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, all of those listed will put the compressor under the hood and the radiator up front.

Has anyone considered these? It only takes 12 V DC access. BOOM - Instant AC that will freeze you out. You WILL need a hardtop or a mounting point on the roof, but these can be serviced at any RV dealer.

Granted, this is from amazon.com and there are lots of cheaper places to get this.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000B8UXPI/102-4331315-9509743?v=glance

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
wallew has posted what I always thought would be the best option, a totalyl self contained unit- I'll bet an clever fella could even build some kind of housing/fairing and paint it od and only the trained eye would realize it isn't correct.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I think those require 110v. I cant run my roof mounted a/c in my motorhome without the generator on or being plugged into 110, and its basically the same thing.

Desert Rat

C,

I considered those once, but with cutting a hole in the roof the issues of weathering and leaks come into play. Therefore, I shyed away from the roof mounted units. I prefer to put a small hole or two in the firewall instead of the roof.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks