• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To sand blast, or not???? metal prep and paint Qs.

RickO

Hello all,

I'd like to paint my M56 this spring/summer and I want to do a decent job. So, I have a few questions I hope some of you who've experienced the ups and downs of doing it yourself can fill me in. So here are my questions:

1. Should I sand blast the body and frame, or blast frame and sand body?

2. If sand blast is OK, know anybody who will do it around Worcester, MA or Derry/Manchester, NH?

3. I plan on using Gillespie semi-gloss green, what type of primer is recommended? i.e. red oxide, self etch, other.

4. To get a jump on priming, is there another brand of primer I can use that will adhere to the metal, AND is compatible with Gillespie?

5. I've heard of alternating coats of primer colors to help visually see where you shot light, or missed altogether--any suggestions?

I know there are forum areas that have somewhat covered these areas, however to be honest, I'm not the sharpest tool in the "resto shed" and I find the info can be spotty and difficult for me to put together.

I sincerely appreciate any and all help I can get

Thanks
Rick

TedG

RickO,

I can tell you my experiences however the are a number of ways to do a repaint, you just need to find the way that works for you, your local and your budget, body on or body off.

For me and me only...
1. I am not a fan of media blasting myself (that is doing it myself). If someone near me would do it for a reasonable price, then I would try it. To do a M56 frame, I would think that the body should come off so that you can get complete coverage. The media will get in places you would never think of so keep that in mind (seals, vents, etc.). The body of the M56 is alunimum so becareful if you blast. Sanding would be my choice...

2. Can't help here.

3. I use Gillespie on every mv I painted and I have used Rustoleum heavy rusted metal primer. I use mineral spirits to cut each it to consistency that I like. No issues for me and my first vehicle is going on 8 years since beening painted this way. Prep of the metal is the key.

4. See 3.

5. Between coats of primer and paint, I use a rattle can and bright lights to look over every inch and touch up prior to the next coat. This works well. Also, if you have a friend assist during painting, you have 4 eyeballs looking for the missed spots.

Good luck!

I also have a M56...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks