• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Torque.....

jollygreen6x6

Hello. I have heard all over the place that the infamous R6602 gasser is a real torque monster. I have one of these in my truck, so I just happen to know this :p .I also know the horsepower on one of these puppies is supposedly around 192. What I would like to know, however, is the torque rating this beast has. I really just want to know how much @$$ this thing can haul... :devil: :devil: :devil:

big daddy

Well ??? I wanna know too, I looked around on the net for a little while and couldn't find anything ! So who has the specs , curious continental owners like us want to know. P.S. I need a copy of that CD as well !

big daddy

I PM'd you on the 20th , so I PM'd you again in case that one didn't go through. Both have my address, I want the 2.5 and the 5 ton for 7$ and the 602 CD. PM me where to send the $ to. Thanks Mark

DUUANE

HI THE FORMULA FOR HORSEPOWER IS;

TORQUE*RPM

hp= --------------

sorry about the double spacing...plug in the numbers you have and you should be able to solve for the torque rating.

if this is unclear you can go here http://vettenet.org/torquehp.html for a broader explanation.

hope this helps.

regards

spicergear

If you back peddle from that formula you get about 360 for torque...and that ain't right. That calculation doesn't take into consideration displacement. I can't find any torque numbers on my 1160/3208 CAT V8 either. I know it's 636 cubes, 225hp, 5" stroke, so I figure I ought to be in the mid to high 400's or more on the torque side...oh, plus I got a big air filter and very free flowing exhaust.

DUUANE

here's another site that lists the specs for the gas 5ton continental engine as 224 hp@ 2800rpm.
http://www.a-w-a.com/6x6/#genspec

according to the formula

horsepower*5252

torque= ------------------

rpm

the r6602 would make 420.16lb/ft of torque at rated speed.finding the peak torque is a job for a dyno i think.you might be able to guesstimate the torque curve with a program like desktop dyno.lots of fun inputing the build data though.

cheers

oh and these guys have an engine service manual for you,might have some info there...

http://www.ytmag.com/store/manuals/cengman2.htm

:jumpin: i gotta stop feeding my emoticons chili

jollygreen6x6

Well, I have heard several stories about how the R6602 seems most powerful between 1300-1400 RPM. So, lets assume peak torque is at 1350 RPM. If we use that for RPM in the equation:

224 horsepower times 5250 equals 1176000.

1176000 divided by 1350 RPM equals....

871.1 ft.lbs. of torque.....

Yeah, I'll go with that.

DUUANE

close but not quite...224 represents the peak horsepower.actual hp at peak torque would be considerably less.if i had to guess i'd say 120-150hp@1350rpm ,and that might be optomistic depending on the volumetric efficiency.in my opinion there isnt much that'll out torque a properly prepared cummins 855.
it's comparing apples and oranges though. :skull: forced induction :skull:

makes wonderful things possible.i've heard tales of 1200hp at the wheels @1950rpm in a hi-way tandem tractor.i'll try to find the link and post it.cool stuff.

cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks