• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1008 lift

MTMUDRUNNER

I just got a m1008 a few weeks ago and have been fixing the typical things charging and vacume lines. When I get all those issues fixed I am looking to lift it 4"-6" . What is the best complete lift for these heavy duty trucks I want to go with springs and not blocks in the back? Looking to run narrow superswamper 35-36" tires. I will need to change the brake lines but what else. Thanks for any info

Gunfighter1

Im only running a 2 inch lift but got the Tuff Country HD springs because they have the highest spring rate I could find. If you do a new leaf spring in the rear you technically wont be a 1 1/4 ton payload anymore but will probably ride a lot better. Theres altoa brands that are good superlift, skyjacker, Tuff country etc ive run all those lifts on different trucks and there all good to go. Youll need a new steering arm and probably have to have the drive shafts lengthed if you go 6 inches. Wouldn't hurt to get new brake lines. I know skyjacker makes some nice stainless ones wich would be a nice upgrade over the old stock rubber ones. Not much else that youd need. A complete kit should come with **** near everything you need. Springs, shocks, u bolts. One thing I like to do is lube the new spring bushings with lithium grease to avoid any squeaking while they break in. Make sure to soak the old bolts in wd-40 or pb blaster a few days before you plan to takt it all off. Do it every night for at least a few days prior to help them break loose. I know the steering arms can be a pain to get off sometimes if that's the case smack the side of it with a sledge and itll usually break free. Hope this helps. These older leaf sprung trucks are real easy to lift if you got a jack and stands and a couple of hours. Oh yeah might need to check the ebrake cable for slack if you go up to high.

CA_LEO

I am going to go with the Off Road Design shackle flip rear and add a leaf front in my M1009. I think they are probably one of the better lifts out there from what I hear.

IdahoPlowboy

cucv1028 (2).jpgMy truck has 4" Tuff Country in the rear and Skyjacker 4" with 1" ORD Zero rates up front, and Q78,16 Swampers. If I was to do it again I would have ordered the Tuff Country HD 4" springs for the front instead of the Skyjacker springs.

MTMUDRUNNER

View attachment 420420My truck has 4" Tuff Country in the rear and Skyjacker 4" with 1" ORD Zero rates up front, and Q78,16 Swampers. If I was to do it again I would have ordered the Tuff Country HD 4" springs for the front instead of the Skyjacker springs.
Thanks for all the info everyone, IdahoPlowboy that is the exact look I am going for. What else did you have to do to it brake lines, steering? How does it perform in the mud/snow. Thanks

IdahoPlowboy

I used ORDs brake lines and Tuff Country SX8000 shocks, greasable leafspring bushings and a few other ORD goodies. It does great in deep snow and mud.

IdahoPlowboy

I have only hauled my ATV with tracks so I have not really loaded anything heavy in it. For C rated tires they do just fine for what I do with the truck.

tymbom

I had C rated 40in LTBs on my truck when I first built it. I've hauled lots of firewood with it and never had problems.

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An alternative to the expensive aftermarket brand names is www.generalspringkc.com. They are located in Olathe, KS. I believe you will find everything you require with them. I bought rear spings for my 1968 GMC 4X4 suburban to give me an extra 2".
I would like to raise my M1009 about 2". Any more than that, you get a nose bleed.

Gripy

I did a 4" lift from ORD. For springs get the heavy duty ones since the diesel engines are heavy. I got springs up front and shackle flips in the back.

lmcdncn

Gripy. Thinking of doing the extact same to my M1008. Would love to know how it turned out. Do you have any pics? Or any gotchas with the install.

True Knight

For straight bolt on stuff you can do like Gripy did or like I did. I went with a 4" skyjacker softride kit. Its all springs- no blocks. Its a little softer of a ride than Gripy's truck, but he should have slightly more load capacity. However I have carried a few heavy loads with no issues. So it depends on what you want. I felt like the softer ride was more important for off road driving. It is still pretty bumpy, but far better than before with the stock springs. They actually flex pretty well for 1 ton springs. I also highly suggest a crossover steering kit. The steering feels so much better after I installed the crossover! And I can go lock to lock without the 37" tires rubbing on anything (I did do some fender trimming). It wouldn't do that before with the stock drag link set up.

Looks wise they are the same. Gripy's is the tan, mine is the green.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gripy

The only problem I had was the Leaves up front had slightly larger centering pins than stock. So I had to drill out a slightly larger hole.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks