• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remote-Mount Turbo

Checkmate

Hey there everyone,
I do not own any Chevy or military trucks at the moment but would like some information on something that I was reading about. Has anyone heard of or done a remote-mount turbo system before? Can it be done on a 6.2L 1028?
Now I keep reading on sites like Pirate, DieselPlace, ColoradoK5 that there is limited engine bay space to house a single turbo much less twins without ditching the second alt or second battery. I think it would be very cool to do a remote system on a 6.2 but then the issue becomes where to put it. One thought that I had, would be in the bed right behind the cab but then I thought about how much space it would actually need. Then I thought about adding a pair of 4-inch stacks to make it a little less awkward of space usage.
Anyone else think of a remote system for their 6.2l? What is your opinion of such an idea? What do you think the feasibility of a project like this is?

Stalwart

There are several problems with remote mounting. One, your turbo lag would be quite severe. Unless you wrap the exhaust with a good thermal material, the heat loss would result in less energy to drive the turbo. You'd need to run a separate electric oil scavenge pump to pump the oil from the turbo back to the engine. I'm sure there are other considerations . . . you can do it, the question is: SHOULD YOU?

197thhhc

Remote turbos are easy. I have put them on several f-bodies (Camaros, Firebirds) Usually they are put in place of the muffler. You can mount the air filter to it or near it if you want or run a pipe from up front. If you put it under the truck it needs to be enclosed (Boxed in) The turbo lag isn't really an issue. That has more to do with the size turbo you use. And the longer tubing coming up to the intake actually takes the place of an intercooler. You will have to tap into the pressurized side of the oil system, usually by putting a "T" at the oil pressure sending unit and you can put the return oil line into a hole with a nipple that you put in the oil pan. I have had huge sucess with them and the turbo will quiet your exhaust. You wont know your not running a muffler.

albersondh

If you dont get the center section high enough, it will back up spent oil into the CHRA, at which point it will start to blow past the seal ring on the turbine and you will have a nice smoke generator. I wouldnt even think about doing it without knowing for certain I had enough gravity working for me to prevent oil back up, or, scavange pump and be done. How to tell if you have enough gravity, run a barbed fitting with 5/8" clear hose (temporarily for testing only), start the engine with a fresh oil change and dead cold. Crawl under and have someone rev to a fast idle while still cold. This will put oil pressure as high as it will ever be/should be. Does the hose back up with oil or get within a couple feet of the CHRA drain? Yes = add pump. Also a good idea to weld the return bung towards the front end of the oil pan to counter the affects of inertaia tending to cover the bung on high rpm/oil pressure acceleration.

Honestly there is loads of room under the hood to do pretty much whatever you want. No point in a remote on a CUCV when good aftermarket and OE stuff is available to accomplish the same thing in a much simpler way. Personaly I want the least amount of crap as possible hanging under my heap, let alone a source of pressurized engine oil, car is a different story, but consider the point of these trucks... I bet I could twin HX52's under the hood if I had to. Need room, make room....

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd mount it on the roof, and pipe it straight into an intake snorkel!

Checkmate

So the general consensus so far is that it is do-able, but not the most efficient way to turbo the 6.2L. To make room under the hood for twins, I guess that remote mounting the batteries would be the simplest thing to do, since wire has negligible downsides the longer it gets.
Thanks again for the feedback on an interesting idea.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Twins? Before you go down that path, you're going to need to address the 6.2 engine first. Starting with a better bottom end, mahle 18:1 pistons, and the heads need attention as well.

Would be more cost effective to swap a 6BT if you're going for power.

Skinny

This sounds like a reinvention of the wheel to polish a turd. Keep the 6.2 stock and accept it for all of its glory, swap a 6.5 turbo setup onto it using junkyard (or junkyahd if you are from Maine), or swap something in Patracy said that actually makes power to begin with.

Remote mounted turbo especially on a 6.2 just eliminates most people that would ever want to buy a CUCV to begin with and is one more thing to go wrong IMO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks