• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

EFI in-tank pump on OE tank?

albersondh

Anybody swap in a EFI gasser? Did you run the OE tank and find a in-tank sender with pump that would work in-tank? Or just plumb off of what is there and do an inline pump? I would prefer to go intank with the pump if I can. Can I just use a later model tank, sender/pump, and toss that onto my OE tank?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think in 87 the silverado was available with throttle body fuel injection. Maybe the sending unit/fuel pump from that application would work.

albersondh

Looking at a bunch of tank pn# x-ref's I think yes. 85 C30 tank is common with some 87-90 TBI trucks that are in-tank pump/sender assy. Thanks for the nudge. These should work great with a Walbro 400lph.

I know I have at some point run across a great thread where someone found the largest OE tank possible that would fit as a direct replacment to the 20-gal tank. I think there was an attempt to fit a huge 40-gal suburban tank? I have spent a bunch of time trying to re-find this thread but Im failing.

Anyone know what larger capacity tank/s will fit as a direct, or close to direct swap for the OE 20-gal tank? What year/model is it from? Im in for a new poly tank and going to need as much capacity as I can get. Thanks.

albersondh

20G OE tank 8' box = 54" long, 34G 1988-1996 8' box = 61" long. Notes from MTS indicate the 34gal tank does not fit 1-ton.... Not sure if this is due to physical size constraints, or the different neck location, Im guessing neck location. I can cut out the filler door, cut a new hole, and adjust the position of the OE filler. If thats all it will take to make a 34G tank work in lieu of the OE 20G..... Kill two birds here, get a tank that will take a in-tank pump/sender, and add 14G of fuel capacity while Im there....

34G 1988-1996 8' box = 61" long

20G OE tank 8" box = 54" long

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The suburban tanks fit the M1009s. Not sure if you could retrofit into a M1008.

cameron8757

I have a suburban tank from a 91 that i am going to put in my 1009 when i get some time. Was thinking about plumbing it to use the electric pump or the mechanical.

albersondh

The 54" tank is the longest that will fit in a 1028 without.:

1. Relocate the tank.
2. Relocate the spring shackle.

The rear of the tank is almost against the forward/rear shackle, a longer tank wont fit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks