• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

flatbed trailer question

apbloom

I want to transport my 1954 Dodge Power Wagon to a few local antique truck meets in NY and New England. I want to use one of my M35's to do the towing, and am wondering is there a military two-axle flatbed trailer, with air brakes, that would have the capability to carry my truck, which weighs 6200 lbs, and some extra gear.

Or should I try to find a commercial trailer and paint it to look like a mil trailer?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Arthur
www.M35products.com

rmgill

Art, check my post history. There's a setup I did for my truck running electric brakes on a civilian trailer.

There are Military trailers but they're pretty heavy duty for the size. they're in 5 and 7 ton sizes with 2 axles but not much bigger than a standard equipment trailer and they'd need a set of ramps fabbed up.

NEIOWA

Re: RE: flatbed trailer question

rmgill said:
Art, check my post history. There's a setup I did for my truck running electric brakes on a civilian trailer.

There are Military trailers but they're pretty heavy duty for the size. they're in 5 and 7 ton sizes with 2 axles but not much bigger than a standard equipment trailer and they'd need a set of ramps fabbed up.
7.5t actually (a very conservative rating), deck is 8'x 14'. 5t deck is a bit shorter but more of them available. Used mostly by engineer and ord units. Very nice units. deck heigh is around 3'.

NEIOWA

XM979 5t - bed 142.75" x 96" 37" off ground unloaded
XM1061 5t - bed 142.75" x 96" 37" off ground unloaded
M1061A1 5t - bed 168" x 96" 37" off ground unloaded
M1073 7.5t - bed 168" x 96" 37" off ground unloaded (have one of these OH)

All have air over hydraulic barkes. 979 & 1061 also have an inertia brake system (so can tow with M113).

No.2Diesel

Hello Arthur,

There is a cheap Tag-Along deck over trailer on Main Rd. At Laurel Stone Supply. (Don't know if its still there) It's a Hurst 9ton with triple axle and electric brakes. The wood would need to be replaced but otherwise is complete and has a nice tongue jack. He wants $1,200. Just blast it and paint it OD. See you around.

CGarbee

Art,
You might want to look for a tag trailer like the one that I have... Several got sold at a GL sale in MD last fall (although they all had laundry units on them that you would have had to dispose of...) and they show up at other sales now and again with and without gear on them.

The one that I have is supposed to be a M1061. It is configured a little differently then some others in that it only has the single drawbar instead of having the second one for use when towing with a tracked vehicle.

One of these days, I’ll get around to putting some nicer photos up that will show how it currently looks with ramps, etc, but until then, you can get an idea by seeing what it looked like the day it was delivered by looking at the photos located at:
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/photos44.htm

Dataplate info:
Flatbed Cargo 5 Ton, 4 Wheel
NSN 2330-01-226-0709
Engineered Air Systems, Inc.
St. Louis, MO

SN TR-100195 (the 195 portion is stamped, the rest is pre-printed making it the 195th trailer perhaps…)
MFG Model Number TR-100

Length is 225.63”
Bed is 95" wide
Bed is 32" high (top of deck from pavement surface).

144" from lunette to midpoint between axles

Capacities:
Empty
5400 lbs on wheels
600 lbs on lunette

Cross Country
11000 lbs Payload
15500 lbs on wheels
1500 lbs on lunette
17000 lbs total

Highway
11000 lbs Payload
15500 lbs on wheels
1500 lbs on lunette
17000 lbs total

Note: Lunette height is adjustable.
The dataplate has the same ratings for Cross-Country as it does for Highway. Not sure why this it so as every other Military trailer I have seen with a rating less then 10 tons has a higher Highway rating than for Cross Country. I have had a mid-fifties CAT D4 on this trailer without problems, but the trip was a slow one and was on gravel and pavement...

I originally purchased this trailer for hauling my M37 behind my M35A2C, and it does that well although it is slow going up hills...

CGarbee

jasonjc said:
The bad thing about that trailer is that at 6,000LBS. It weights more than the truck you whan to pull.
Yeah, but it was less expensive than a civilian trailer that had air brakes... Plus, it plugs right up to a MV without modifications. It also will haul a lot more than the dataplate claims, not that you need the capacity for a Power Wagon...

Mike_Pop

Also note that the trailer that Cabell has is a lowered deck height with wheel wells. Most of the M1061 trailers have a higher deck height. I modified this before I sold it to Cabell by lowering the wheel wells. They used to be 12" high.

Mike Pop

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks