• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gamagoat fuel tank r & r

m561gamagoat

Ok, I'm convinced my fuel system is a mess after mostly sitting for the last 43 years. I'm going to remove my fuel tanks and have them boiled. Any tips tricks issues I will run into? Gaskets or lines I will need to replace etc. any tips would be appreciated.

m561gamagoat

Also will that be covered in TM - 20. Or -34 . I used to have all the manuals but sold them with my first goat. I need repurchase them for sure. Tanks don't look to tricky though.

Charlie 6

I had black algae in mine, plus the rubber connection lines were rotted. I removed the rubber lines, fuel indicator mechanism, open the drain peacocks and pressure washed the tanks with out removing them, this removed most of the gunk. The rest I removed with a scotch pad, long arms helps. Also used algae 10 which is used to kill algae in pools, Walmart sells it, results were clean tanks, after 18 months still looks clean. Rubber lines were rebuilt by local hose shop, don't remember what I paid but it was cheap.

Last edited:

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the roblem is the brown gunk that results from old jet fuel being left in the tank to long try E 85 gas. It will desolve gunk and clean also will clean lines nicely. Does not seem to hurt rubber lines or IP if only left in for a day or 2. I'm not saying to start engine only as a flush on open lines.

Last edited:

m561gamagoat

Fuel tank cleaning

22924.jpgIm sure there is plently of crap in there. I changed the filters twice so far, initially they were ridiculously sludged up! Ive got some free time coming up , im leaning towards removal and boiling. Cant go wrong there.

Gamagoat1

View attachment 430635Im sure there is plently of crap in there. I changed the filters twice so far, initially they were ridiculously sludged up! Ive got some free time coming up , im leaning towards removal and boiling. Cant go wrong there.

A lot of what your finding is not algae, but bacteria. Get a good diesel anti-bacteria treatment and kill it all. Other wise it will be back. It's alive in every little corner and behind the baffle that you can't reach behind.

m561gamagoat

Fuel tanks

Finally found some time to deal with my dirty fuel system. I removed one tank after pumping the fuel out into a 55 gal drum. It has a lot of crap in there, sounds like a pile of gravel ! I plan on pressure washing it out. Is there any solvent I can use that won't hurt the aluminum. I'm taking the trouble to remove them so I want to thoroughly clean them.

Attachments

m561gamagoat

Question: Is the fuel tank strainer assembly the same as many m series vehicles. I need assemblies for both sides. Arts parts has one takeoff on ebay, price seems kinda high. Also to confirm the sending unit is the same as an M-38s? Thanks for any help here.

m561gamagoat

Well, pressure washed the tanks best i could. Seems the one strainer assem basically disintegrated in the tank. Cleaned out a lot of crap. Opened a 13 year old can of gillespie forest green and was surprised to find it like new after some mixing. Ordered a sending unit and new cap and strainer assem. Gonna b like new.

Attachments

m561gamagoat

Had a bad fuel line fitting where the fuel enters the block after the secondary. It was spraying like my power washer. Luckily a common NAPA part. Took the goat out around the property for 35 minutes ran strong. Happy to have cleaned out tanks, new filters and a leak free fitting. Also replaced the rusty fuel strainer assemblies thanks to some nice take-offs from arts parts as well as a new fuel sending unit. Next the oil filter adapter but gotta grab some straight 40wt first on Monday.

Attachments

Gamagoat1

Had a bad fuel line fitting where the fuel enters the block after the secondary. It was spraying like my power washer. Luckily a common NAPA part. Took the goat out around the property for 35 minutes ran strong. Happy to have cleaned out tanks, new filters and a leak free fitting. Also replaced the rusty fuel strainer assemblies thanks to some nice take-offs from arts parts as well as a new fuel sending unit. Next the oil filter adapter but gotta grab some straight 40wt first on Monday.
Those soft brass fitting can be a real pain.
Arts Parts has a lot of good stuff. unfortunately, way too expensive for me.
Nice to have her running again Tom, Good job!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks