• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Moving the engine forward?

Keith_J

I am thinking of upgrading to a 4L80e transmission in my 1986 M1031 SECM. I want to keep the PTO driven off the NP205 because I use it a lot. But with the increased length of this transmission, three driveshafts will need modification. I was thinking moving the engine forward 1.5" would be easier and allow the same transfer case mounting.

I was thinking an adapter plate to replace the spacer plate, part number 14037861 (figure 1, item 7 in the -34P TM).

albersondh

Looks like pleanty of room between the radiator and pulleys/fan. Need to shorten top/bottom hoses so they dont kink but no big deal. I think this is a great idea.

What type of TCM do you plan on? That TCI box looks good but still need a RPM signal and TPS. TPS is a no brainer. Whats your plans for RPM signal? Seems like the 6.5 tach signal genny would be a good/cheap solution. Maybe need a signal amp to make it work though. 4L80E = TISS, TOSS, TPS, RPM, if I remember correctly....

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Seems like a harder way of solving the problem. You're looking at re-locating the engine crossmember and everything engine wise forwards. Yet modifying the driveshafts would be about $300 at most. And honestly, 1.5" probably isn't going to matter to the front driveshaft. (I'm stock with 6+" of lift, there's a long slip on it) Shortning driveshafts is much cheaper as it's all labor (well, except for the welding supplies). Lengthening is when things get a little more expensive.

Keith_J

Because of the tilt of the engine, when it is moved forward, it will move up a bit too. Moving it is along the crank axis so the front cross member will just barely clear the oil pan, plus or minus about 1/4" which should be enough for the resilient engine mounts.

There is a LOT more to moving the transfer case back, like the TC neutral safety switch for the PTO operation. I looked at the fan, it will easily move 1.5 inches forward without a single issue. There is at least 4" of clearance between the front of the blades and the oil cooler lines. And the back of the blades is about 2" from the rear of the shroud so the fan will probably work BETTER.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks