• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch removal

white135

Hey guys,

I have an opportunity to get some parts off a parts truck including a winch and its associated parts, here if the weather ever breaks. I have a couple questions about the winch first.

First, the book says to remove the bumper first...

Is this necessary? and if so is it difficult?

Second, is it possible for two guys to do it without hurting themselves?

Unfortunately, I have limited hauling space, and its about 80 miles a way, so I want to plan this out in advance.

Thanks

Eric

butch atkins

mandantory to remove bumper ,then you take out support bracket bolts,and slide winch and brackets out the end of the frame rails,and into the back of your trailer/truck or whatever,cable is HEAVY,so is winch,WORK SMART,BE SAFE,remove shifter lever on winch,it is cast and will break if you drop,rollover, winch on it,remember to get ALL THE BRACKETS THAT GO WITH WINCH,CAB BRACKETS AND LEVER,CABLE CONTROL SUPPORT BRACKET,AND ANYTHING THAT GOES BETWEEN WINCH AND PTO UNIT,its not to much for 2 guys to handle,drop winch on ground if you have to,better if ypou can drop it onto truck/trailer put sheet of plywood down to cushion it,good luck ,BE SAFE,been there and done it,so i know it will work like this,used ford tractor w frontend loader to install winch on my m211,smooth n easy , hardest part was aligning all the bolt holes on bumper and frame rails,TAKE SOME TYPE SPRAY LUBE TO LUBE BUMPER/FRAME BOLTS WITH BEFORE TRYING TO REMOVE THEM,IF YOU BLOW IT HERE YOU WILL HAVE TO TORCH/CUT THE BOLTS TO GET BUMPER OFF, these bolts are fine thread and usually rusty,dont stick one,take long bar for ratchet you will need it

mtroxler

Eric:
I pulled the winch off my truck last year to do some maintenance. I used a forklift! The winch is heavy. You might want to add a come-along to your toolbox to help you support the winch as your removing it. Also, remember to get the PTO, and winch drive shaft along with the winch. If you need to do any work on the winch, its easier to do with it off the truck.

Mark

acetomatoco

Take off the bumper... only a few bolts... then back up to the winch and frame extensions and take it off as a package and slide it on a couple planks right into the trunk of your Pinto... and away you go....Bring a PTO hole cover plate and something to put oil in cuz you do not want to Exxon the ground when you remove PTO... ACE

amanco

I just straightened the cable on my winch and now I have a dedicated pair of "Winch Gloves" If you remove the cable be prepared for lots of grease.

cbvet

Eric,
Remember, I live a couple of miles from that truck.If you're coming on a weekend, I may be able to help.
You could also stash some parts at my place if you need to.
Eric
CBVET

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: winch removal

BFR said:
take air tools & a torch to heat stubborn hardware.
definitely a torch. I beat on bolts way too long before using the torch...fired up the torch then one, two, three and they were out with no damage to the brackets etc.

butch atkins

dont forget to get winch operating instuction plate its right above the steering wheel on the transfer and tranny operating plate,according to manual TM 9-8024 winch and cable weigh approx 410 pounds,WORK SMART ,BE SAFE, you can do this email or pm me ,i have don e it this way,and it works,will return phone call if you give me your number,looking at some of thev posts on this topic ,i dont think to many people have done this on an m135 m211,lot different than an m35,ihave had both,anyway good luck

white135

Well, this has all been informative and helpful. If you guys think of any more details, it'll be a few more days yet.

Eric, I'll pm you about our plans shortly.

Thanks everyone,

Eric

white135

Well, It took two trips total, but I managed to get nearly everything off the truck. Did end up having all the bolts torched off, but it went ok.

Should have some pics on friday.

Here's what it looks like without the winch:

Is the Garwood winch used on the GMCs the same as the M35 winches?

Attachments

butch atkins

WOOHOO,GET YOU SOME,DONT YOU LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER,CONGRATS, sounds like you worked your #%* off,if you ever HAVE TO USE that winch it will be worth every dollar you spent and every busted knuckle,GOOD LUCK

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Congrats but that poor truck looks like a kid with his teeth knocked out. Too bad someone doesn't take the truck home and fix it up looks purty clean to me. If any of you guys from Indiana ever see a CJ 3B with a capstan winch on front and diamond plate floors, it was mine as a teenager and I sold it in Hobart.

white135

Yeah, I do have more pictures, I'll try to get some up later. The truck looks better than it really is, a lot of underside rust, looks like it might have been used as a salt truck. The front cab and engine compartment are the best areas.
Eric

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks