• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shifting Question?

Superdave

I was able to take the 135 out for a drive this weekend as the weather was nice. Since this truck and its workings are still new to me it seams that the shift into 4th gear comes in way too soon ( 22 MPH ) and wanted to know if this is what it is suppose to be? It shifts into 4th gear at 22 MPH medium or full throttle.

pa.rich

I looked at the manual and it said only rpms , couldnt find speeds for shifting. There was some troubleshooting in there but you really need to see it for yourself. There is also some adjustments on the outside of the trans case for the bands. It could be many things. I think the M211 manuals are online here somewhere. Anyone have any advice on the automatics?They do say to let it warm up for ten minutes before using the automatics. Also drain and refill with fluid and there is a process to go through in the manual for that. Too lengthy to state here. You should read the manual .

Superdave

The transmission shifts into 4th gear at 22 MPH in f1 with a top speed of 55 MPH. The main question I am asking, is this normal shifting pattern? as I think it should shift into 4th gear around 30 MPH because at the 22 MPH range it really lugs along until 30-35 MPH. Has some one down loaded the manual yet? I guess I will have to get a manual to check to see that all of the linkages are adjusted correctly.

butch atkins

tranny shifts

first you need to adjust ALL OF THE LINKAGES,IN THE CORRECT ORDER,ACCORDING TO THE MANUAL,even when properly adjusted my m211 has similar problem,here is the solution,this is in the manual,when the tranny shifts into 3rd gear,push down on tranny control lever pull it back into the f-2 position (hilly),this will keep tranny in 3rd gear untill you can get more speed up,when you reach desired speed ,30 - 40 then move shift contro;l lever intof-1 position and tranny will shift into 4th,i really run mine in 3rdgear a lot unless i need to be going 40mph+,it keeps the engine from lugging,when you put a load in the truck,the motors vacuum will sense it and tranny shift speeds will go up considerably,this is all a condensed versiion of what the manual says,TM 9-8024 pages 55-60,manual also says 20 mph is corect shift point for light throttle no load condition 3rd to 4th gear,have put 33k on my truck and this is the best way to get it to shift when empty,GET THE MANUAL ,DRIVE IT BY THE MANUAL,SERVICE IT BY THE MANUAL,READ THE MANUALgood luck ,keep posting

Superdave

I will have to get a manual for it. I have been down shifting it into the f2 position until it reaches about 30-35 MPH then shifting it back into the F1 position and works fine. I just was not sure if the 22 MPH 3-4 shift was normal for these trucks as most other vehicles would have higher shift points. Again it will take a little time to be totally familiar with the truck.

butch atkins

tranny shifts

oops my bad ,maybe i wasnt real clear about the method of downshifting to 3rd gear,get truck movingat part throttle in f-1 high range untill it shifts into 4thgear,if truck is still lugging engine,depress gas pedal until tranny downshifts to 3rd gear,passing gear,then pull shift lever back to f-2 position (hilly) ,this will keep tranny in 3rd gear untill you put tranny control lever into f-1 (level), i really use 3rd gear a lot ,DONT EVER USE HIGH RANGE REVERSE,SOMETHING ABOUT THE WAY TRANNY IS CONSTRUCTED MAKES IT REALLY SUCCCEPTIBLE TO STRIPPING THE CLUTCH PACKS OFF OF THE CONE ASSY,IHAVE TALKED TO SEVERAL EX MILITARY TRANNY MECHANICS WHO WORKED ON THESE TRANNYS AND IT IS A MAJOR PROBLEM,I HAVE HIGH REVERS BLOCKED OUT ON MY TRUCK WITH A BLOCK AND 2 SCREWS TO KEEP ME FROM USING HIGH REVERSE,IN LOW RANGE UNDER PART TO FULL THROTTLE MY TRUCK WILL SOMETIMES MISS 3RD GEAR SHIFT AND GO FROM 2ND TO 4TH GEAR,DAMN WHAT A NECK SNAPPER,does your truck shift good in low range,the best my truck ever braked and shifted was when i hauled6000 lbs of building matls up a mountain to my friends property where he was building a house,hope this helps,email or pm if you want to talk about any of this

Superdave

I guess I should have made it a little more clear as well. I put it in F1 high range and let the trans shift 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 and then shift it in to F2 to hold it into 3rd gear until I reach the 30-35 MPH mark then shifting it back into F1. Thanks for the info on backing up in F2 low range as I have been using high range to back up with out any problem so far. Overall the transmission shifts really well with no abnormal shift points in either high or low range

pa.rich

Butch ,I have a M211 also and thanks for the tips on the tranny. I havent had mine on the road yet, only the long driveway, about 1000 ft. I appreciate your help and I am sure Superdave does too. And all the other 211 owners.I thoughtnsomeone had put a 211 manual online , but I couldnt find it. Maybe C.D. ?

If your trans. goes into high at 22 mph then the throttle valve linkage is improperly adjusted (or the torsion spring has broken) Regarding low range...14 MPH is max speed in low on that truck. The 22 MPH, as idnetified, is approprate forlight throttle no load. The only connection the trans has to engine load is the throttle valve linkage. Check at the rear of the intake manifold, there is a cross shaft where the throttle linkage is attached. A torsion spring connects to the throttle linkage rod that runs to the trans valvel body cover. THis linkage ahould reach its stop BEFORE the throttle is wide open, then the spring allows the throttle to be opened without damaging the valve body. Adjust to your liking, OR as per operational requirements, the trans should be able to be downshifted with the pedal at 35 MPH. under full throttle, expect roughly 40 MPH for 3-4 shift. I put 35000+ on my M211 with loads up to 14000#. Never had any transmission issues, even climbs Mt. Eagle at 20+ MPH, and 55 MPH on the road for hours at a time.

Good luck they are great trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks