• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Singles on a M211?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As some of you know, I won the M211 at the Forestry Commission in SC. I'm needing alittle help though.

It is missing the outer tires and rims on both driver side rears, and one tire on the rear pass. side. My question is, I need to flat tow it. Can this be done without putting a tire (or at least a rim) on the outside of the axle? I'm not going far, and not going fast. I've read the manual for the M44 trucks, and it seems that the stud is the inner wheel nut. Is this true for the M211 as well? will the wheel stay on? I would like to tow it with a M35, but can't if I have to take 2 tires off of it and the lugnuts! (the M211 has a good spare)

So will the wheels stay on the M211? or should I look for two more before towing it?

Thanks guys!

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will the lugnuts tighten up all the way to hold the inner tire on? My dad says there is a shoulder on the studs... (I haven't personally seen it, pipe up dad if I'm making you look bad.)

jasonjc

OK I have pic to help. Frist pic (L-R)

Wheel stud Front lug nut Wheel stud inner nut (timbel) outer nut

If useing only 1 wheel in back either use a Front lug nut or inner nut (timbel)

Outer nut and front lug nuts are the same size outside but not the inside.

Attachments

pa.rich

The picture says it all , the large stud bolts over the smaller stud, thent the outer dual bolts over that with the nut. Just make sure the large stud is tightened and you will be o.k. Left side is left hand thread, Right side is right hand thread.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, we could use a couple of spare wheels and tires. Dad and I are planning to go to GA to get some tires in the next few months.

It does look pretty good, not much rust.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Where in Ga. are you guys headed?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
there was a thread that was talking about used tires, we got the info and dad called the guy. He remembers where the guy is, I don't. Sorry. I'm sure he will post when he gets on this morning.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
oh, IronHorse. Acworth. Ok.

acetomatoco

Remove the drive shafts for your trip. Secondly...remember that the lug nuts inner and outer are left hand thread on the left and right hand thread on the right side of the truck... On a flat tow...you are going to have 13000 lbs of dead weight ..so plan on stopping ability using only the brakes and traction of the towing vehicle... I alway have all my recovered vehicles brought to me on big rollback trucks... then there are no problems with liability, insurance, inspection, registration, lighting, braking, wheel bearing failure...etc... A tanker truck...is subject to DOT inspection to see what is or was in the tank.... HaZMat...and so forth... You can usually rent a rollback recovery truck for about a hundred $ an hour and they are well worth it... some states, like MA require registration for everything which touches the ground... so a car towing a car on a single axle dolly requires 3 sets of plates. ACE

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Ace,
Thanks for the tips. Will be towing with a M35. The rear tank inspection port is gone, so the the tank is bone dry and can be checked just by driving behind it.

For where it has to go, us towing is the way to go. The last time we got a tow we got burned.... aua

Dad is going to remove the driveshafts, just in case.

From my experience, SC hardly cares as long as your safe about it. We will be taking back roads, and then dragging it deep into the woods on my property. Dad has run out of room and we don't want the neighbors to run out of patience.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks