• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6tl batteries

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
With my 5 ton purchase, I got a set of 6tl batteries. I figure they are dead, but I was wondering about an addative. I recall a thread about dumping out the water and refilling with this stuff, but I didn't find the thread. Anyone have an answer? Once I get that I will try hooking up a solargizer to help out too.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Gimpy,
The additive is called EDTA. It is designed to remove the lead sulfate covering from the lead plates in the batteries. This sulfate deposit is what reduces the batteries ability to take and keep a charge. The battery needs to be in good shape for this to work. If it has and broken plates or shorts, the EDTA won't help. David Doyle sent me some EDTA that he found in TN. I'm sure there are other vendors out there. The place in TN is:

Hydro Systems Supply
421 Anderson Avenue
Brownsville, TN 38012

The EDTA comes with the instructions for the rejuvinating process. I have done it on one of my batteries so far, but it turned out to have a dead cell. I plan on doing the other 3 when I get some more time. An immense amount of sediment and crap came out of the one I did.

The basic process is drain the old electrolyte from the battery, rinse thoroughly with water, add 1 TBS of EDTA powder (it helps to mix it into warm distilled water) to each cell, put the caps on, allow to soak for about an hour ( turn the battery several times every 15 minutes), dump the cells, rinse very well with a garden hose, refill with battery acid and charge slowly overnight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks