• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recover sales tax

ichudov

I am an Illinois resident. I was charged sales tax by GL on sales of vehicles in WI and IN.

In Illinois, sales tax on vehicles is handled by the DMV and usually is $25 for older vehicles.

My question is, as an out of state resident, can I somehow recover those sales tax monies?

Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read the terms you agreed to when you bid. You needed to file a tax exemt form before the item's auction ended.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You won't get the taxes back from GL. My state "TN" will apply the taxes already paid in another state to the TN sales tax when I apply for title. If the other state has a lower rate I have to make up the difference though.

86m1028

Read the terms you agreed to when you bid. You needed to file a tax exemt form before the item's auction ended.
That's incorrect in TEXAS & many other states, They Should not be charging tax on vehicles & trailers. If they do you can contest it & they will refund your money.
I have personally been refunded money by G.L.

ryan77

GL is considered a dealer! In Illinois the $25.00 is on a private party vehicle! You will have to pay the difference in sales tax from Wisc, Indiana to Illinois!!

machinist75

That's incorrect in TEXAS & many other states, They Should not be charging tax on vehicles & trailers. If they do you can contest it & they will refund your money.
I can testify to that. 86m1028 has spent a few afternoons on the phone with the gl people.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to know the details 86m1028. I've fought this twice and first time was given a tax credit in AZ then the second time I was flat out denied.

Smokinyoda

I would also like to know how you did this. I pay sales tax in the state the vehicle was purchased, then again in NC when I register them. Curious if any other NC residents got out of paying tax twice?

ranchhopper

Ryan is right you will be charged tax dealer to customer which is much higher bring your bill of sale to prove you paid the tax from another state they will deduct that amount from what you owe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks