• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to hook up dual batteries safely?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, if you're installing two 12-volt batteries in an MV for power, what order should you hook up the battery cables to do it safely, without risking a battery explosion?

Dumb question, but I am still learning...

OD_Coyote

Here is I do it on my M35 and my tugboat.....Use my advice at your own risk.

Ensure everything is turned off.

Negative terminal of jumper cable - Batt A
Positve terminal of jumper cable - Batt B
Positive terminal to truck - Batt A
Negative terminal of truck - Batt B

BTW - As part of my anti-theft device I always unhook the negative termianl to the truck and lock the battery box when I am not using my M35.

ida34

With the 12/24 volt system on the cucv, I would hook up the rear battery pos first followed by the rear negative the to the front positive with the front negative last. On the deuce do what ever order you want but make sure the last connection is the negative connection from the battery to the frame. The reason is that if you slip with the wrench you could touch any metal without a problem as long as the negative to ground cable is not attached. If it was then you would be arch welding.

acetomatoco

and try to be sure all loads are shut off.. even the dash lights..before you hook up... remember that someone may have been playing with your switches while there were no batteries in...and the sequences listed above are fine.. remember if you are jumping from another vehicle and do not have Nato or Slave connectors...pull the battery box out from under the seat in the Deuce so the hydrogen gas has a chance to dissipate and hook up the last connection from the slaving vehicle to a good chassis ground and not to the battery itself...ACE of course it is even more fun when you have two sets of cables from two 12 v Crown Victorias to hook up to your M813 with the 4 battery series parallel setup....A

does this method of connecting the batteries together first and then the positive to the truck then lastly the negative to the truck apply to m939's 4 battery series-parallel system as well ?

Chief_919

The main ground or (-) to the vehicle should always be the first thing disconnected and the last thing connected on any battery system.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I doubt they are going to let you use your vehicle and cables to try to jumpstart any trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks