• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shot some CARC today...

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't believe I'm finally starting to bring my deuce back together again. I set up my outdoor paint booth, sprayed some H2O in the bottom to catch some overspray, put on my white hooded bunny suit, resporator and started a mixin' and a paintin'.

Thanks to all for your help regarding how to shoot the two part H2O CARC.

It seemed to mix well with 2 parts A, 1 part B and .5 parts distilled H2O.

Towards the end of the afternoon I got some blistering on some parts. My luck it was the dash, gauge panel and bit on the top of the gas tank. I have posted some pics. I'm gonna shoot somemore tomorrow and would like some help on why the bisters came up, what to do now and how to avoid it next time.

I used the same primer, same sand paper, same laquer thinner to wipe things down, and the front of the gas tank is perfect it just blistered in some spots.

OK here are some pics

Attachments

N1265

Laquer thinner ? I thought you were suppose to use enamel reducer to wipe things down with..... thinner is a little stronger and may have soften up the under coat.

What type of primer did you use and was the previous finish CARC or Enamel ? ( if you did not prime the whole area )

Just wondering.

It kinda looks like maybe the thinner softend up the undercoat, or if it was not compleatly evaporated before spraying the CARC it may simply be
"trapped" between the top coat and undercoat.

This can happen if you spray heavy wet coats of primer..... Then thinking it is dry, spray the top coat before all of the thinner has " flashed" out of the primer.

But at any rate, The only fix I know of this is to sand the blisters out,
Re prime ( if nessary) and re-paint. The good thing is that you should not have to re-do everythig. Just the blistered spots .

Bill W

Ditto with N1265
Also to add to it
Pop the blister and see if its between the new paint and the old or between the old paint and the bare metal, if its the later then its out of your control unless you want to sandblast the whole truck down to bare metal. Also I like to wipe down suspect areas with denatured Alcohol, not as aggressive on the old paint ( causing it to lift/peel) as lac thinner and leaves no residuel behind.

Secondly, Do you have any other mil color #'s for the SW h20 paint ( you already gave me the 686a #)

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow Mike, I didn't think you had your truck THAT far apart! Sure hope you an find the cause for the blistering. What, a month or so 'till it's road ready? :wink: Got enough paint left to do the 105?

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bill W said:
Ditto with N1265
Also to add to it
Pop the blister and see if its between the new paint and the old or between the old paint and the bare metal, if its the later then its out of your control unless you want to sandblast the whole truck down to bare metal. Also I like to wipe down suspect areas with denatured Alcohol, not as aggressive on the old paint ( causing it to lift/peel) as lac thinner and leaves no residuel behind.

Secondly, Do you have any other mil color #'s for the SW h20 paint ( you already gave me the 686a #)
I'll check under the blisters. I didn't use Laquer just before painting it was a day before, if that makes any difference??
Some of the parts were stripped down to bare metal some weren't. I'm thinking I painted when the sun was higher and hotter outside so the paint cured too quickly causing blisters. I'm still trying to figure it out. I think i'm gonna sand and re-prime the questionable parts,then paint them in the a.m. The H2O CARC is polyurethane so I'm not sure about the enamel thinner?

Regarding the mil color #'s, I'm going down for more plus some green so when I get the green I'll have that.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WillWagner said:
Wow Mike, I didn't think you had your truck THAT far apart! Sure hope you an find the cause for the blistering. What, a month or so 'till it's road ready? :wink: Got enough paint left to do the 105?
Bro,
I figure a month and i'm back on the road. Regarding the 105, I'm gonna take a vacation from sanding for a while.:roll:

red devils dude

bigmike two things what are you useing for primer and how dry out side was it?
and to wipe down use mineral spirits wont react to the CARC beware acetone eats CARC.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
red devils dude said:
bigmike two things what are you useing for primer and how dry out side was it?
and to wipe down use mineral spirits wont react to the CARC beware acetone eats CARC.
I've been using jasco first followed by rust-oleum gray primer. I've only used the laquer thinner prior to priming. I felt the mineral spirits left more of a residue than the laquer thinner but what do I know????
Regarding how dry it was. That day it was pretty dry and kinda warm especially later in the day. I can't help but think the heat had something to do with it. the dash and guage panels looked perfect until I turned them over for a back side coating. Now the freshly painted side was towards the back of the booth nearest the blue tarp which does a good job of absorbing heat. I'm can't help but focus on the heat issue because I have used the same process on all the parts and only the ones I shot last in the day turned out poorly. I'm still up for all thoughts so that i don't go thru this again. If it is strongly recommeded I will go out and buy more mineral spirits and dump the laquer thinner.

JDToumanian

Looks great, Mike! Tan CARC is my favorite modern era paint scheme.

My deuce is in the "paint shop" right now, too... Different era paint job, though. Man, this is great - all the So Cal deuces are getting cleaned up!

Jon

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man you are goin' fast on that project. Is that semi-gloss green or that brownish color?

JDToumanian

It's Gillespie 24087 "semi-gloss olive drab", which tends to look a little brownish. It can really look different depending on the lighting... sometimes it looks like a perfect match to original parts I have and other times it seems a shade too brown. I like the look, but in 5 years or so, or whenever the next repaint is due, I'll review my paint options and possibly make a different choice. I'll be watching for Bjorn's 8x8 to turn pink... :8): or not.

Jon

bigmike said:
I've been using jasco first followed by rust-oleum gray primer. I've only used the laquer thinner prior to priming.
Mike-
At first it would look like you have some paint compatibility issues here but since you are going water based over enamel that seems fine. If the primer is lacquer then there are some problems when using an enamel over lacquer. Lacquer primer was used as a primer for lacquer. Lacquer paint would bite into the primer thereby affording adhesion. The synthetic enamels and acrylic enamels had milder solvents that would not soften and thus bite into the primer. Paint would fly off in sheets, especially in concave areas.You should make sure they are the same type of paint or at least compatible in that respect.
For cleaning and degreasing use a water based prep solvent. The area to paint should be clear of major grease and mud so if not completely removing paint (and this is not a Street Rod finish) I would just use a Scotchbrite pad and a good kitchen cleanser to prep the paint. Make sure that all the cleanser film is completely removed as paint will not stick to that white powdery film. For fairly clean areas I use the Scotchbrite pad and Windex full strength(I actually use Smart and Final window cleaner because it is stronger and cheaper) . You won't have to worry about any residue from the window cleaner in this case.

bigmike said:
Regarding how dry it was. That day it was pretty dry and kinda warm especially later in the day. I can't help but think the heat had something to do with it. I'm can't help but focus on the heat issue because I have used the same process on all the parts and only the ones I shot last in the day turned out poorly.
Ok, now it looks as if it is a heat issue. What is happening is that the surface of the paint is drying too quickly and not letting the paint dry completely. The paint surface flash dries and causes it to become a convection oven. Have you ever cooked a turkey in one of them plastic cooking bags in the oven? What happens?.............the steam from the heated food causes the bag to expand. It's the same thing with your paint. You've created a sealed environment where the heated solvents couldn't escape and that created a hemisphere - aka blister.
If it lifts the primer and paint both it is because the primer wasn't dry or the paint softened the primer and took it with it. If it is just the paint then the primer was dry, the paint didin't bite into it or adhere to it in the short time that it took to cook off. This is the reaction I am leaning towards.
Get the parts out of the direct sun, away from the back of that heat exchanger tarp, or shoot early morning/very late afternoon. If shooting outdoors in the Spring (like you are now) I would start at first light since the bugs are not swarming as bad yet and the afternoon breeze has not picked up. Make sure the parts have been inside out of the fog/moisture and then paint away. This will give it a chance to dry slower.
Maybe you could move the "booth" to where those trees I see in the background will block direct sunlight. I personally would forego the tarp and just paint away in the California Spray Booth. :lol:
The smaller "pimples" of paint are just more solvent popping where you probably didn't put as many mils of paint on at one time, a smaller surface area, it had a chance to flash more completely between coats, and/or where it just wasn't as hot.

bigmike said:
I'm still up for all thoughts so that i don't go thru this again. If it is strongly recommeded I will go out and buy more mineral spirits and dump the laquer thinner.
Use the glass cleaner as explained above. It is a hell of a lot cheaper than automotive paint prep solvent.

RDixiemiller is a paint rep and could probably weigh on this as well.

Hope that helps. Paint away Mike and Get 'er Done! It's gonna make us all jealous. 8)

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All you guys redoing your rides will make mine look like poopoo...Stop it already! rofl

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you better wait at least until I'm done to determine your poopoo level...This is my first time painting. I'm a machinist not a body shop expert remember????

CanonNinja

hmmm... methinks i might have to strip my truck down to the original tan paint, or try to paint back to the tan camo..... anyone make a tan cargo cover? :)

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ARG!!!

I sanded the cab interior and windshield area yesterday followed by rustoleum gray primer over the bare metal areas. To my disgust, i'm seeing primer that is still sticking/soft today I.E. 20 hrs later and after an 80 degree day of dry sunshine. I'm thinking if I paint over this, it'll blister. This is only occuring on specific areas not the entire area i primered. I'm hoping the primer went on too thick and is taking a bit to dry. I'd hate to paint and have it blister again. Any suggestions besides stripping and re-primering?

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Painted some more CARC today. I fixed some spots on the dash, finished alot of the small pcs and painted the entire cab interior and windshield frame. I ended up stripping ALL the paint off the floor of the cab...it was dirving me nuts!!!! I'm glad I did because it looks like new. I will apply some alum. oxide next weekend on the floor.

Still am having a bit of blistering but not as bad as before. I'm still not sure if it's the JASCO or the primer or both. I'll keep working on that one and post what I find. Here are some pics.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks