• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Would a 12V conversion be worth it for me?

BTC70

My 1986 M1028 has been undergoing a full frame-off resto-mod for some time. It has a Banks Turbo and NV4500 installed. In the future, I would like it to have A/C. Currently, the cab is off the frame getting ready to be repainted and the wiring is out of the truck. The question is this: Is converting to 12V the most practical (and possibly only) way to have the Banks Turbo AND A/C?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cleptomaniac has a M1009 that has both alts, banks turbo and a/c. It is still 24v. Opps, just remembered he switched to 12v recently.

Are you going to rewire completely or just modify the existing system? The Rosscommon equipment center conversion is easy and reversible if needed.

it is your truck and needs to meet your requirements.

2002ford

If you can find a complete wiring harness from doner truck with a 6.2 in it you will be set. You will loose the black out lights and the glow plug controller is different. But you would have a civy harness and most had ac and cruise control. You could grab the climate controll stuff while your at it. They are single alternaters only but do have dual batterys. If you can strip a truck and restore it then this will be no problem. Just my 2 cents.

forest522

Well sir, I have to say after having this hobby for a little over two years and one of the first thing I did was a 12 volt conversion...I must say everything I wanted to do was easier afterwards. The addition of a strong and reliable "in cab" secondary 12 accessory panel was much easier (could still be done with a 24v system) but was much easier after having converted to 12 v.

Plus, any issue I come across mechanically that I can't handle (and there are many!) a local mechanic I trust has one less thing to worry about...the 24 v system that seems to confuse mechanics that don't have a military background.

Just my humble opinion...if you keep the 24v no worries...

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you plan on getting other MV's like a deuce or 5 ton, then think twice before doing the conversion.
I can't count the number of times I've used my CUCV to start my XM211 or M54A2 with a NATO cable.
Bruce

Skinny

Keep it and do a one of those nostalgic air CUCV A/C install's. Lot's of money up front but you retain all the 24v stock stuff.

BTC70

Thank you all for the advice. I ended up deciding to go with the complete rewire to 12 volt. The 30 year old wiring's insulation had enough little nicks that I felt more comfortable getting it rewired. Plus, since I'm not planing on having a second military vehicle, the more common 12 volt system seems the way to go. That and the room it frees up to do the Banks and A/C easier.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks