• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pre-filter for electric pump on 1009

MarcusOReallyus

I haven't done it yet myself, but I think you definitely need a relay and either a fuse or circuit breaker. No way would I run one from an existing circuit without a relay.

You can just use a little $3 inline motorcycle/small engine filter. You could wire the pump any number of ways. To the fuse block, to the battery, to a key-on circuit, with a switch, etc. As long as it has a fuse or circuit breaker capable of handling the draw from the fuel pump I think it would be fine.

MarcusOReallyus

And this little filter will handle all the fuel that 6.2 will burn. How many miles before it plugs up enough to cause problems? A screen maybe but never a small filter.
Just speaking from experience.
Yep. I'm planning on a decent replaceable filter, maybe something like 20 microns. Just to catch the big stuff before it gets to the regular filter.

MarcusOReallyus

You could wire the pump any number of ways. To the fuse block, to the battery, to a key-on circuit, with a switch, etc. As long as it has a fuse or circuit breaker capable of handling the draw from the fuel pump I think it would be fine.
I disagree. I think you need a relay in there. Too much chance of overloading a circuit.

I disagree. I think you need a relay in there. Too much chance of overloading a circuit.
Oops forgot the relay part. You could run the control for the relay from the ignition spot on the fuse panel (with an inline fuse), and run the pump off battery power.

Also, I really don't see the issue with a small filter (and by small I DON'T mean a 1" long/.75" dia. one you put on a lawn mower), plenty of people use small filters before electric pumps, and on vehicles with greater fuel demands than a 6.2 diesel. Screen filters are good too, they are easy to clean and replace.

Adam86CUCV

What about a Wix 33033? It's 20 micron in line metal can filter and around $6, seems like a good choice to use and have a spare in the glove box if your worried about a clog.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks