• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stripping single layer of carc?

CanonNinja

I'm thinking about my options here for "restoring" my truck.... The CARC on it now is barely 7 years old, but a few places its peeling and the original undercoat of tan is coming through... The more I look and think about this, the more I want to turn my truck back to the desert tan camo scheme. Is it possible to blast or otherwise remove a single layer of the carc and still maintain the undercoat?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, maybe if you were real careful and real patient using baking soda or some other "soft" media. It would take FOREVER to do a single panel though, much less a whole truck. The chances of it looking good afterwards are slim. Personally, I think you would be better off spending your money and time on repainting it tan if that is what you want. That way you can go through and clean up and feather any peeling areas. That would look real clean. My $.02 :)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Short answer, no.

As the media removes the top coat, it will inevitably damage the coat beneath it.

Have it fully stripped and re-do it tan.

Sorry.

CanonNinja

Thanks guys. I was just curious how much "bite" and absorption the layers had. On my passenger door, the CARC is peeling like a sticker in 2 spots, and the paint underneath looked pretty clean to me.

Still cant find any registration numbers underneath all this paint tho.. the depot boys went to town on this sucker, for sure

acetomatoco

Remember CARC is a respirator job for any dry sanding or chipping...Stuff will Kill YA just like Imron...If you want your truck to be authentic military, it will have peeling carc because thats the way they are...just use a putty knife around the edges and squirt a little good primer on it and then overcoat...and be authentic... ACE

rdixiemiller

Try a pressure washer and a rotary nozzle. CARC tends to be somewhat brittle, and if the surface was not sanded before it was applied, you might be able to blast it off. You will need 4Kpsi or so to do this. I blasted a cood bit of peeling tan CARC on an old M105 trailer that had originally been painted OD enamel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks