• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Entry Level MIG Welder

robd

Hey all,

I'm looking for something to get me started on some body welding projects for the new M1009. I've done a fair amount of stick welding, and want to purchase a MIG unit. Needs to be 110/120, and gas/flux.

My budget is about $300, could push to $400 if really needed.

Been keeping an eye on craigslist, and planning on hitting some pawn shops, but I don't know enough about brands to make a good judgement call.
What used units in that price range should I keep an eye out for? Is there anything new or reconditioned in that price you'd recommend?

I know many of you will recommend saving for a Lincoln or Miller, but I need to get going on these repairs before I could manage that. My usual MO on stuff like this is to start out with an entry level, and if I use it enough / gain enough skill, I'll buy a bigger and better, and graduate the current unit to backup.
So, I'd appreciate sticking to the $300 range.

Thanks all.

Bill W

I have a Clarke 130E mig that I bought new off E-bay for around $300 ( plus shippng )
I did modify mine as the unit does not have a cooling fan so I went bought a 120v muffin/pancake fan ( $15) and mounted it on the back and wired it to the units on/off switch., I now probably have a 40% + duty cycle as it cools so well
The biggest complaint I have with it is the cables are short and it seems I'm always having to move it around to reach areas to weld but I guess you get what you pay for.
These units are made in Italy not China.( not sure if thats better or worse )

Now with all that being said I do remember at the time, Northern tool had same type/size unit for only about $50 more than the Clarke and that unit had longer cables.

Attachments

Last edited:

Cobra2401

In my area tractor supply has good prices on Hobart. Miller owns Hobart. I have Hobart welders and Im very happy with them. Good luck. You can also order them on their site alot of times with free shipping.

Ridgerunner

Your looking for a small, hobby/beginner type welder. My advice is get one with shielded gas vs. flux wire, and do not buy a welder rated under 120 amps...

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm satisfied with the Hobart 187 Handler from Tractor Supply. Go with shielded gas and 220v.

JOECOOL48

Just be aware that a mig welder of this class will not give you the penetration and weld size that a big honking mig welder will. These welders are not for thick metal so you will need to use a V groove on the two pieces of metal that are to be welded. Make multiple passes to help penetration and build up the weld. These welders work very good on sheet metal and filling holes in metal. I have use one of these welders to patch pin holes in water can with good success. Just remember to fill the can with water before welding. This helps keep gasses from building up and provides cooling to prevent blow through.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a Hobart 210 from TSC , man a nice little welder , got it on sale , plus a 10% off coupon , what a deal . Yes , and go with the shielding gas , MUCH easier and a better weld . I got a nice cart from Northern Tool during one of their sales , so I ended up with a nice welding station .

robd

Thanks for the replies so far.

LOL at the Horror Freight welder Tyler. I'm glad you had good luck with it, its definitely something to consider. My general rule with HF is to not buy anything with moving parts, but your positive experience is helpful.

I plan on using gas, I just want to make sure that the unit has the ability to do flux as well for those emergency situations.

So far, for doing CUCV body work, it looks like 120 amps would be the minimum recommended?

Ridgerunner

Another thing to consider also. For MIG welding, you can use straight Co2 (100% carbon dioxide) as a shielding gas, instead of a 75/25 mix (75% Argon - 25% carbon dioxide) There is a huge difference in price, to fill up a bottle between the two gases. Co2, being extremely cheaper. That's all I use here in my shop for MIG shielding gas 100% Co2 (Millermatic-250 with .035 ER70 solid wire and Millermatic-130 with .023 solid wire) Both gases weld good, and you will not notice any difference in weld quality, but your wallet will sure see the difference.

robd

Another thing to consider also. For MIG welding, you can use straight Co2 (100% carbon dioxide) as a shielding gas, instead of a 75/25 mix (75% Argon - 25% carbon dioxide) There is a huge difference in price, to fill up a bottle between the two gases. Co2, being extremely cheaper. That's all I use here in my shop for MIG shielding gas 100% Co2 (Millermatic-250 with .035 ER70 solid wire and Millermatic-130 with .023 solid wire) Both gases weld good, and you will not notice any difference in weld quality, but your wallet will sure see the difference.
That is VERY good to know... I have a 35# cylinder leftover from my paintball days, and a few 20#ers I use for homebrewing.

robd

Spotted a Craftsman 20511/Century 125GS for $200 locally. Barely used. Id that a good deal? Not seeing much on it online, but I've heard century is good stuff. 135 amp, Looks like it handles gas and .24 and .30 wire.

quickfarms

How does the co2 work compared to argon?

Personally I use flux core wire and have to clean up the splatter.

krink762

I have been very happy with my miller 180, little higher than what you want to spend thou, just don't go cheap on a helmet if you get a auto darkening, I tryed the cheap one and had miserable headache's after alot of welding, bought a miller and works great

I'm pretty sure CO2 is inert. It will make the welds penetrate deeper so it wouldn't be ideal for body work. For learning to do MIG, and small projects around the house I would recommend Argon/CO2 mix. Unless you are going to be doing a lot of heavy steel work and going through a lot of gas.
diagram2.gif Source; Miller Resouces

Also I would vote for a used Miller or a new Hobart.

robd

Spotted a Craftsman 20511/Century 125GS for $200 locally. Barely used. Id that a good deal? Not seeing much on it online, but I've heard century is good stuff. 135 amp, Looks like it handles gas and .24 and .30 wire.
Bump on this question, as informative as the CO2 discussion is... I'd like to know. :)

Ridgerunner

MIG weld with .035 solid wire and 100% Co2 shielding gas. Just how it's welded with no clean up afterwards. (drop bracket for Deuce lift kit) 101_0249.jpg

Ridgerunner

If it's a 135 amp welder, it should be ok. Does it come with gas pressure gauges? That's the big end (amps) for a welder that's uses 110 volts. Buy it and try it out for a bit. If you don't like it you can always relist it back on craigslist.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks