• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need mechanics opinion on my next move

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd clean it and slap it back together.

Worse case your out a head gasket and a couple hours time.

Clean all your threads before assembly.

natem

Long sanding block (longer than block or head) sand flat and put it back together. It wouldn't hurt to lap the valves, you might be suprized how long it'll keep running.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Permatex makes a gasket spray. It's copper.

poppop

I was told the paint trick by the John deere shop Foreman. He said they had lots of head gasket problems till they started useing paint on the gasket. Of course they used John deere green.:-D

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If there is an eroded path, then a new headgasket will not last long. The only quick fix that has a prayer is J B Weld. Clean the surface and apply, then grind it flat to the surrounding surfaces.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I never got it together before dark. While I was off doing work on a totally different project I ran into a old Army mechanic and he's bringing over some gauges and gonna learn me something.

I also had the copper spray 'glue'. Thanks folks for the info.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every head I've installed in the last few years I've used the copper coat spray. Most gasket manufacturers tell you to install the gasket dry but while I can't say without a doubt that it helps, I can say that none of the gaskets I've used it on leak. I also use it on exhaust manifolds.

I tend to think it would work better than AL paint because it has a higher solids content.

Amer-team

Have to go with NDT's advice. One picture sure looks like corrosion in the head between the cylinders. Definitely have it checked out and milled if needed. I really like JB weld and it would probably work, but so would a nice flat mating surface.

Oilleaker1

Good advice, but most important is to use the all fiber head gasket and not the one steel sided gasket from Felpro! I've had them fail. Next is to re-torque the head after you start it and run it up to operating temp. Re-check the torque again after a good drive. JB weld is also one of my favorites. John

foxtrk2

use the aluminum paint the metal fills in the minute holes been doin g it fo ryears second what caused th egasket to fail ive just had to replace three jeep motors fo rthe same problem all had cracks between cylinders after doing the cleaning and sanding before reassembly so look closely before wastreing the time to reassemble it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks