• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making X-country round trip WA to VA to WA

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thought I would post this trip as it may be of help to the SS community who have been so helpful to me in the past.
I have a x-country round trip planned for April 27 to May 9.
4 days out, stay 4 Days, and a 4 day return.
I am recovering a M29 Weasel near Douglas WY and moving it to Yorktown VA for 'panamarc' whom I found on the G503 site.
Then I am trailering my Unimog TLF-8 From VA back to Kennewick, WA.

I am driving a Chevy 2500HD 8ft bed pulling a 18' 10K beaver tail car hauler.

I will be stopping at some locations along the way to for Parts two big/heavy to ship.

I will be going thru Richmond VA (direction not yet decided). And planning on going thru SLC on the return trip.

Tony

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
quarkz, That's lotz o miles! Drive safe, the winds have been unusually strong out here thru CA, AZ and UT. A friend of mine rolled his truck and 40' 5th wheel on the 15 last week. Keep us posted.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys Thanx for the well wishes.
Ths time it will be a drive in luxury.
Last x-country trip was in a camper converted short school bus towing a CJ-7 in the August heat with no A.C..
So this should be a walk in the park.
I know what you Will Wagner means about the winds. Here in the Columbia Basin the winds howl 80% of the time.
Maybe if I am lucky they will be at my back and help save on the rising fuel costs.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sudjest looking at the member locator map. And find members who may be close to your route. If you run into trouble mabye somebody could help.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Long trip, but try doing it in an MV sometime! That Chevy 3500 will ride like a Caddy, but if you ever had to do the same trip in a deuce, MAN, you will really be DRIVING that truck the whole way!

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The camera and batteries are already in the glove box.

I did a 4 hour ride in the Deuce when I picked it up over near Tacoma. I had no problems with it. I had a chase vehicle just in case.

I am trying to get psyched up enough to take it down thru Pendleton to the ID rally this summer. But those are going to be some long slow hills. Might have to get a smal MV like a Mighty Might that I can trailer to meets to fiti and keep the Big Iron for play in my personal fleet.

The bus coming from VA to WA well that was one thing after another. Brakes twice (WV and CO), Transmission in KY, Fan belt (NB and ID) and Fuel pump (WY). It was a good thing that I rebuilt the 370 engine myself, otherwise I would have had to see a mechanic in addidtion to getting the bus towed. Good Sam is the greatest thing to come along for RVs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks