• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel heated heater controls

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cold weather, arctic or coolant heater.
Looking for control boxes for these, what's availble? I think most are pretty much the same, so the particular truck model shouldn't matter. Thanks.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn:
Hello! I have both kinds of heater shown in the pics from Ebay. The little control box shown with the yellow light on it is what we use. You need one for each heater. The water heater is for heating the engine for cold weather starting. I put one on my 5 ton wrecker, and it works great. The larger heater I use in my expandable shop van trailer. It will keep it very warm, run you out in fact on high. There is no thermostatic control for either heater I know of. The control box has high and low settings on the toggle switch. For the engine heater, the fan speed and output is varied by the high/low. On the large heater, the fuel input is varied by the high/low, the fan speed stays the same. I bought a 24 volt converter to run the one in the shop van. We use the shop van for our clean room for final engine and transmission builds.
I think these came out of armored vehicles of some sort, maybe Bradleys. There is a through the hull fitting for the exhaust. The large pad is for crew heating. My engine heater also had a circulating pump and a pad that goes under the batteries to heat them with water flow while the motor is heating.
I timed it one winter day, and in 15 minutes the engine heater had the snow melting off the hood.
Parts and manuals are still available for both from Soouthwind. They are very sensitive to clean fuel. If some particles get into the fuel block, the small holes there get obstructed and mess it up. You have to carefully clean the fuel block. My son and I have rather extensive experience with both types if you need help, we can try. Sam Winer Motors said they take the engine heaters off trucks and throw them away! I told them to put them in a barrel and call me!
Regards Marti

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn:
One more thought. The heaters are test fired at the manufacturer, which is probably the reason it looks like they had light use.
Marti

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Marti, good information.
My 8x8 does not have the conventional coolant heated heater, but is set up for the fuel burning systems, both for the coolant heating, and with ducts for keeping the crew warm. The exhaust is used to heat the oil pan with the "Arctic kit", which means adding a second heater.
The cable with connectors are installed in the cab already, and I have a heater coming from Oklahoma, which leads me to the controls. :)

m38inmaine

Bjorn, you have always been quick to reply to all of my questions and have offered sound advice. I have a complete fuel fired heater with controlls, wiring ,etc . I pulled it from a cucv ambulance I had. I know it all works because I used it a couple of times. All pretty minty as it was in a barely used ambulance box. Its yours for the taking.

Mark

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you so much, Mark, PM sent.

Hope you got the oil change business taken care of.

I got a taste of Combat Engineering back in '69, one of my AIT's, spent some time at Ft Leonard Wood, MO. :)

m38inmaine

Sampled the two drain plugs and nothing which is good, I am sure what little I got from the prefilter plug was it. I did my basic training and 12B mos at Ft. Leonard Wood in 85. I will box the heater up and get it out next week, the only part I don't have is the fuel pump that was mounted in the engine compartment of the cucv.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks again Mark, the pump came with the 8x8 and is the kind that makes the "clack, clack, clack" sound. :)
It is mounted on a bracket on the inside of the frame near the fuel tanks, used it to prime the fuel filters when test firing the LDS465-2 back in November (can hardly believe its been 5 months already!).

One of the controls as shown in the image above.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks