• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ranger KLR250 headlights

oslo1693

Hello from the UK,
I have a USMC KLR250 that I would consider changing to a Ranger version. If only I could work out where the double headlights come from.
Does anyone have any details about them? They feature one "normal" headlight and one IR (not blackout or convoy). I would dearly love some close-up photos of the headlights and mountings, plus the switches and how they sit on the handlebars.
And if anyone knows how to source the parts, or even has some spare, then even better!

I am willing to do the conversion because I already have a Marine KLR650 (petrol not diesel) and I would like some variations on colour schemes when I show them.

Tally ho!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Sorry I missed this earlier I have a M1030B1 KLR650 that was a former Army bike that has an armored IR and armored white light. The way they had mounted it is to remove the standard headlight bracket and fab a piece of flat stock that bolts to where it was mounted and clears the front of the headlight opening in the shroud just far enough to bolt on the armored lights. As far as the armored lights go they had removed,(gutted) the standard shock mount stud from one of the lights and simply ran the stud from the unaltered one though the hole in the stock into the body of the gutted light and nutted it tight. The bulbs were also changed to 12V. For wiring they had simply added mil connectors to the standard hi/low wires that went to the civi headlight and added a wire to the front black out light. Switch on mine is the standard add on M1030B1 wire tied to the handle bar. Rear is the standard black out marker.bike dave.jpg011.jpgbikes 002.jpg012.jpgcyclesnipersedited4oe.jpgsniper bike-2.jpgranger-motorcycle.jpgv46961_Ranger Motorcycle.jpgFirst 4 are pic's of my bike a M1030B1 the others are M1030's KLR 250 I have found on the web. I'll try and get down to the barn tomorrow and get a closer picture of the lights.

Last edited:

oslo1693

This is an excellent start. Thanks very much for the info. I'm starting to think that as long as I make it look good, no-one is going to know whether it's correct or not.

It's good to know that the rear lights are the basic convoy/blackout versions so that's a positive - I already have those fitted. Naturally I have the switch too.

The search for the actual headlights isn't getting much. Everyone keeps saying they are the standard armoured lights, but that doesn't mean they are easy to find. The only ones I have seen so far usually have a vehicle attached to the back!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Hope it shows up ok that you can see how the flat stock was bent to bolt into the existing holes on the sides the head light shroud007.jpg and it has been slotted and the piece of stock that has the lights mounted to it passes through it was welded and goes back in the center where it is bolted to the triple tree.006.jpgHope this helps.
Now I need your help I just got a 92 M1030 it has the mil lights but the previous owner removed the wiring and switch for them, any chance you can make a line drawing how the wiring is hooked into the 250 wiring and does it use the same switch as a 1030B1 650? Thank you in advance.002.jpg001.jpg

Last edited:

oslo1693

This is really good. Thanks very much indeed. I can certainly see enough to make up a bracket.

In return I shall be glad to sketch the wiring on my M1030. If it's alright it will be the weekend before I can get to my storage, but it's the least I can do. And I can confirm the switch is the same and is attached in the same sophisticated way with tie-wraps!

All the best.

oslo1693

I have spent a few hours in the storage following wires around.

First things first:
  • Left & right mean when you're sitting on the bike
  • my bike has no indicators. There are wires that I think should go to them but they end in a bullet connector & go no further.

I have taken some bits of the bike apart, but I can't see how the blackout/off/headlights switch itself comes apart. I have two, both fitted to bikes & wired in, but when you take off the nut holding the switch to the case absolutely nothing else moves. There are no cracks in the plastic where it comes apart. Obviously it does, but I'm ****ed if I can see where - hopefully yours is wired and you have the same colours.

From the switch are 6 wires: 1 red. 1 yellow. 2 white, and 2 blue.

The RED first - it goes to the +ve of the front blackout light and also to the rear blackout light.

YELLOW - goes straight to the rear blackout light.

The rear blackout light has three wires. One is an earth and the other two are both black coming out of the sealed case so I can only guess that the running light comes on with the front blackout light (red wire) and the other (yellow wire) is the brake light.

The two BLUE wires both run from the blackout/off/headlights switch to where the unfilled battery compartment is, under the left hand side of the seat. Here there is a white 9-way connector and, a little further back, a white 6-way connector. Kawasaki have a blue wire going between these connectors. This has been cut, and the two blue wires from the switch connected to each cut end.

At this same 9-way connector a brown wire has been cut close to the connector. (It comes from the rear brake lever switch) the loose end is connected to a white wire that goes forward to the area behind the headlight. There it is connected to:
  • The brown wire from the ignition barrel (which has been cut off from anything else)
  • Brown on the clear 4-way connector in the upper left of the dash (the normal wiring then takes it from this to the front brake switch on the handlebars)
  • One of the white wires from the blackout/off/headlights switch
  • The module containing the clocks.

In the clock module the white wire comes in from the right in this picture
20131109_174119.jpg
and you can see it connects to one of the three screw terminals with the brown wire, and (also brown) the wire that goes off to the rev counter. The brown rev counter wire originally went to the white connector with the other two wires from the rev counter. It's just been cut off flush with the connector.

All this just leaves the 2nd white wire from the blackout/off/headlights switch: It connects to the brown wire coming out of the clear 6-way connector in the upper left behind the headlight. (This leads through the connector to, well, the rest of the wiring loom. I can't see where it goes from here.)

I really hope this is useful. Hopefully anyone else can find it with a search too.

Last edited:

oslo1693

Actually I now realise that the brown wire from the ignition barrel has been cut and basically each of the ends is connected to the white wires from the blackout switch

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Thank you that is similar to how the 650 is wired at the dash and a big thanks for the picture.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks