• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1028 465/205 combo

NMerenda

I'm getting an m1028 in a couple of weeks. Original trans and 208 case. Not a bad combo, but I am possibly thinking of swapping in an sm465 manual and an np 205 transfer case. Any preferences as to which tranny is the better option? What about the 205 case? Am I going to notice the bit higher gearing than in the 208? And if I do notice it, will it really make that much of a difference. I'm inclined to keep the automatic for less maintenance, but this isn't going to be a daily driver and it would be nice to have the granny gear, but I'm not going to be unhappy without it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anytime I need a lower gear than 1st, I use low range.

NMerenda

The low range in the 208 is lower than the low range in the 205. My question is if the differences is noticeable enough where I'd be better off keeping the 208.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you use your truck for?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you use your truck for?
BINGO! Lets look at the numbers. The 208 carries a 2.61 low range where the 205 has 1.98. The SM465 with it's 6.55 low gear can compensate a lot for it. It all depends on you, how much time you spend in low range and what you do while in low. The swap, while not overly difficult, does take some time to get it all together with swining pedals and such. It would be a fun swap but I wouldn't do it unless the current stuff needed replaced.

NMerenda

Of course, the low in the 465 will definitely compensate for the higher low range in the 205 but is swapping out the 400 for the 465 a worthwhile swap? Also, the truck will not be driven in winter and will mainly be used for towing/hauling, and off road use. More trails than anything muddy/boggy. Also, it will not be a daily driver.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's going to boil down to what you want. It would be a novelty to me and not worth the effort unless I could add an overdrive gear either via the NV4500 or Ranger Splitter. The 400 is very durable and inexpensive to rebuild and the 208 is really a hearty transfer case for what it is. It does work pretty decent as is but don't get your hopes up too much in mud. The 6.2 lacks the power and RPM band to clean out tires like a 350 or 454 would. With the 4.56 gears even the anemic 6.2 can haul decent weight. I've had no problem towing 6000# for hundreds of miles.

NMerenda

Yeah it's not my plan to be going through much mud unless a situation calls for it. The reason I would go with the 465 over the nv is cost. I'm a broke college kid so I'm trying to get the best value out of everything and do most if not all of the work myself. If the 208 ever goes a 205 will probably go on its place but as for the turbo 400, if its going to be a more heavy duty and more trouble free tranny option then that will be the way I shall go.

NMerenda

I think that's what it comes down to. Ill do small modifications here and there but when it comes to a major swap, I'm going to wait until I have the time and money. Thanks for all the replies.

- Nick

NMerenda

That's great! I'm pretty familiar with gm trucks so I have no doubt that this truck can handle anything as is. I'm just always trying to get advice from those more knowledgable than I in case I want to resto mod the truck to my liking. Of course when the fininacial means allow. Well that and the most precious commodity....time.

My wife told me she wont drive my m-1028 cause it wont go but 50 mph.If I go 55 mph it sounds like its reving to much but it has a great drive train.Im wanting to lift it and add 37 to 42inch mudders on it.It came from Ft Jackson SC then it was used at Charleston AFB and thay took great care of it.It drives like a new truck.I would also like to shorten the frame and put a stepside bed on it.Im 47 and will never grow up.

jesusgatos

Just bought an M1031 and have an SM465 that I was thinking that might find it's way into this truck. Agree that an OD would be nice, but figured that even thought it's still 1:1, would free-up some power the slushbox is robbing and everyone knows the 6.2L needs all the help it can get.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks