• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211 home from Forestry-WHEW!

herc69

OK, here are some pics we took while and after bringing the M211 home. Had to get them to jerk her out of her spot against the fence, don't know if she just liked it there, or if the brakes locked up :roll: Either way, the 2500 diesel couldn't get her to move til they got the wheels rolling first. 40mph on the interstate didn't earn any friends, but WTF, she's home safe!!
BTW,t he transfer case DOES have a neutral. Found out after dropping the shafts. :mrgreen:

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe, I'm curious, how did it tow with the towbar extended out that far? I keep mine up close and tight. Looks like a fun day, wished it were me doing a recovery.

herc69

I wish you could have been there, too!! Coulda used the extra help :jumpin: Anyway, it towed fine. No extra squirrel at all. The extra length gave me the angle to feel safer, and reduce the stress on the less-than-perfect pintle. I would have liked to keep it shorter, but needed the better angle.

herc69

Forgot to mention, had to get a rollback tow for the M880. Couldn't get the axle straps to connect properly on the bumper, and didn't feel it would have been safe.

pa.rich

You guys towed that with a little pickup? What are you, nuts? That truck weighs over 7 tons. Also we did tell you iit has a nuetral on the transfer case.Glad you got it home o.k. That pickups rear end could have come off the ground towing that much weight with the angle on the tow bar. Whew! Better you than me!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess I'm stupid too. I've got nearly 3000 miles towing various deuces with my pickup (using the towbar). I wouldn't suggest it to anyone else but I did it. Knowing what I was doing and what could happen makes you plan accordingly. Now with that said, I don't do it anymore. As far as the angle on your towbar lifting the rear end, I doubt that would happen. It could only happen on acceleration and you would lose traction before it came up.

EZFEED

Re: RE: M211 home from Forestry-WHEW!

pa.rich said:
You guys towed that with a little pickup? What are you, nuts? That truck weighs over 7 tons. Also we did tell you iit has a nuetral on the transfer case.Glad you got it home o.k. That pickups rear end could have come off the ground towing that much weight with the angle on the tow bar. Whew! Better you than me!
You must have never tried this before. It actually tows quite fine as long as the tires are aired up on the Deuce and the towbar is extended. The length of the extended towbar gives you leverage to pull the truck into the turn.
I towed my M-35 over 100 miles with a dually and she pulled like a charm. Felt just like a loaded cattle trailer to be exact. Take it slow and you'll be fine. :driver:

butch atkins

m211

hey ,nice to know someone other than me with a gmc,live in greenville sc,glad for your new toy mnot an expert but have worked a lot on my truck,keep posting,good luck

davesgmc

RE: m211

Wow, that looks like a commercial for the new toyota truck,,,,towing something you would never expect it to tow. I sure wouldnt have tried it,,,scratch that,,,,yeah I would! heck I been moving my 211 in and out of the driveway with a stock 2wd ford ranger!

lacoda56

The only concern I would have would be cornering, but you covered that with the extended towbar. Most farmers have pulled wagons (no weight on hitch) over 20,000. You learn real quick the true meaning of "take it easy" Good job and glad you made it home safe! :driver:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter

There was a pic in MVM back in the early 1990s showing a S-10 mini pickup towing home a M211, so I guess you're safe. :)

herc69

Question for all you naysayers....how fast could I pull the M211 on the interstate using the M35? Same speed- up to 40? I know it would be more equal weight wise. aua

mangus580

Herc, I pulled a parts M35 with my deuce down the interstate.... I bet I was able to do normal deuce speed... so about 55ish

pa.rich

I still disagree with you guys, thats not safe. Especially pulling hard on a tow bar angled up on the towed vehicle. the upward pull on that could pull up on rear wheels causing loos of traction. My other concern is braking hard on a turn. There isnt enough weight in the rear of a picup to keep good traction. Jack-knifing that could be fatal. Plus the factor of involving other people nearby. If it was wet it would be even more dangerous. Also those towing factors stated by the truck co's are for loads with brakes. So yes, you can tow it but my point is it isnt safe without brakes on that kind of load. And no, I am not saying you or any other men who have done this are stupid, but taking a risk. Come on guys, some one is gonna get hurt. The load proportionate to the towing vehicle is a big factor, especially a pickup which is light in the back and front end doing most of the braking, jack-knifing is a real risk here. Go ahead and condone it, call me stubborn, but thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Again, glad you got home safely Herc, and have fun with the 211. Send some more pics of the progress as it goes along.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks