• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

newbie question, FMTV wheel bolt pattern

ih4by4

What is the FMTV wheel bolt pattern? The ones with the rf-611 axles, if that's not what they all have. Does anyone know where I might be able to get a set of these wheels around the Oklahoma area?

ih4by4

Oh, and I just saw a set of six for sale on here, but these wheels do not have the one larger bolt hole for the air hook up. I guess i should mention that my axles do have the the one larger stud.

ih4by4

ok, thanks, that makes since. Do you happen to know what bolt pattern they are. I bought a set of wheels that i was told were the same pattern, but they aren't lol. They are an older style of split rim, but the pattern is much larger.

DSD277

Sorry, I don't kow the actual numbers, but if the CTIS setup isn't there, they'll probably be for a MRAP... they either have Michelins or Goodyears, 395/85 -20.
That is why I posted the pics... if they don't look like that, you don't want them :)

InMemoryofRex

Hello!
I just had the 6.14 gears installed and was about to mount new tires on aluminum rims. The FMTV lug bolts are about one inch too short. I believe they are 3/4" 16 3.5" long. Does anyone know where I can find longer lug bolts that would fit my M108? Thanks in advance and best wishes to all.

InMemoryofRex

Lug Nuts for FMTV Aluminum Rims

A big thank you to Justin Wehring for solving this mystery and saving me from taking a long time out at the funny farm.

The studs remain the same, the nuts (lug nuts, not me), change.

New lug nuts are:

Outer Cap Nut Euclid E5995R (Right thread)
Outer Cap Nut Euclid E5995L (Left thread)

https://www.vanhorntruckparts.com/product/19797/Outer-Cap-Nut-E-5995R/
and
https://www.vanhorntruckparts.com/product/19796/Outer-Cap-Nut-E-5995L/

I found prices varied greatly between different vendors. Ranged from $ 3.79 to $ 9.95 ea.
Since I needed 60+, that was quite a difference.
I worked with Mike and Van Horn Truck Parts who even shipped on my FedEx account.

OK, that was fun......

Hope I saved someone out there some time and stress.

Last edited:

InMemoryofRex

Ah, confession time....
If it wasn't for Bryce, I would have never been able to do this.
Without the TM, I couldn't even name most of the parts he took out.
The middle gear is probably 30% bigger and heavier than front and back.
Remove axles, drive shafts on both ends, use a forklift to raise the gears up (we took off the bed so we went through the frame with a chain for lifting).
Then, and here is the hard part, Bryce wrestled the gears into the housing which is difficult since it involves lifting them over the 'hump' and at the same time turning them slightly.
Let's just say I am not going to get into an arm-wrestling contest with Bryce as he would wind hands down.
And here is the part that I know I could have never done: putting all the parts and pieces back in.

Physically, the middle one is hardest.
But the most difficult is the front one.

The difference between men and boys is the ability to re-assemble their toys......
Bryce Wasielak 772-828-6829. He lives in FL but travels all over the country.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004330515707&fref=ts
Text and Facebook get a fast response.

I got a quote for $ 3000 / axle from a company in Sealy, TX.

Bryce sold me the third members and installed them for considerably less.

Highly recommended.

coachgeo

The middle gear is probably 30% bigger and heavier than front and back. ...
Have talked to Bryce before about another topic. Very knowledgeable guy and down to earth.

Now am I reading this right since you mention Front "middle" and back........ are you saying you put highspeed gears in a 6x6? Didn't know you could do that since the R&P have a different part # for the middle axle as it does for the front and rear axle. Did he use the same highspeed gear set that is used for front and rear axle's then reinstall the Offset Gear Box/Offset Rear Drive Box* back on the middle axle ?

*don't know the official name had to call it something.

Last edited:

InMemoryofRex

No worries, I don't know the correct terms, either.
Short version:
Front and rear are the same I believe.
Middle is very different as it transfers power through the third member to the rear axle.
front and back gears are around 300 - 350 lbs.
middle gear is around 450 lbs.
I believe that these gears came out of MRAPs.
Unfortunately, these very, very expensive vehicles get scrapped as our government doesn't like people driving around in armoured vehicles.
Especially after the incident in Dallas where the armoured car driver shot up the PD HQ.
So they sell them for scrap and force buyers to cut them up.
I have to admit, I do not understand why can't we give them to our allies like the kurds or the Ukrainians?????
Cutting up $500-900k vehicles seems a bit wasteful.....
The gears that Bryce sold me are brand new, never used.
The tires and aluminum wheels are from the 1st Gen Caiman MRAPs.
These wheels were precision machined and are capable of 70 mph without shaking the truck to death (the standard steel wheels are not).
Aluminum wheels can be balanced, steels are almost impossible to balance.
Hope that helps.

Please know that this is my first project.
Most of my information came from other, wonderful and very helpful members of this community.
Especially those that have a passion for these vehicles and are doing this as a hobby, not a business.
Without their help, I would have never been able to get this far.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks