• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Guntruck Gathering 2013 AAR

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
OK...that worked so here we go:

The Gathering this year was the best organized of all six I have attended...in my opinion.

I particularly liked the tour of the State House and the Veterans Memorial.

We had four Guntrucks. Proud American, Wild Thing, Physchotic Reaction and Ace of Spades. Black Widow and Untouchable were no-shows due to shipping snafus but Ron Smith came in his POV.
Randy Recth brought his "I'm Not Happy" deuce, his immaculate M151 and M37.

I was still learning to use my new camera so my pics kinda suck but I did the best I could...(hey who knew you had to use the button marked "ZOOM" to zoom in??)

Proud American and several Guntruckers stayed on display the day the rest of the folks went to the State Fair so I don't have any pics from there...hopefully someone will post some here.

Right now it looks like "Gathering XII" in 2014 may be held in Columbus, Georgia. Maybe that will allow some more semi-local SS folks to come meet some really good Veterans and have a good time.

Anyhoo...here's some pics in no particular order:

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Looks like I can only do four at a time until I can re-size them...here's a few more of the assembly area.

In pic 1, LT Baird is the one with the prosthetic arm. He was on Proud American the night she was destroyed. In pic 3, Calvin Bennett was on the rear 50 that night.

Attachments

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
LT Baird is an Indiana State Representative and is instrumental in getting Veterans support in that state.

The LT arranged a tour of the "State House" and we saw both House Chambers, the Govenor's office and the Supreme Court. (My picture was on the wall of the Supreme Court but I don't know why).:whistle:

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
After the tour of the State House we convoyed over to the Veterans Memorial and you just gotta hear this:

We were in static display and each truck had a crew member with the truck while the others toured the area. I sent Troy and Tony out scouting for vittles and stayed with Proud.
A car made a left turn onto the street we were on and came to a screeching halt!! The driver rolled down the window and just gawked with his mouth open until cars started to blow their horns and he pulled to the opposite curb and parked.
Two men got out of that car and came walking over to me and asked what the heck was going on. Long story short, they were both Guntruckers in Vietnam and were in Indianapolis visiting relatives and on a tight time schedule!!!

Here's another quirk...they were both from Kentucky and lived not more than an hour and a half from where I was born and raised...now figure the odds of that happening!!
They both called their "Commanders" and explained what had just happened and stayed with us until we left the Memorial and then followed us back to the hotel where they both met some folks they hadn't seen or heard from in 42 years!

Now all that made the trip complete and more than worth while!!

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Friday we all just sorta hung out and socialized as the social meeting was that night.

I gotta tell ya, these folks pull together like the best team you ever saw. Folks donate items for a drawing and folks buy tickets for the drawing and other folks just donate money for the heck of it. That's sorta how things get done.

Some of that money is divided between the Guntruck owners to help out with fuel/expenses and I gotta tell ya...it helps ease the pain!!

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's another quirk...they were both from Kentucky and lived not more than an hour and a half from where I was born and raised...now figure the odds of that happening!!
Well, that explains why I've taken favor you Papabear. Kentucky is my favorite state in the nation and I seem to alway get along with the briars.

We need to convince Tony (marchplumber) and his bride to attend the GA Rally.

Looks like the gathering was a great success with some positive fellowship.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice that everyone pulled together and helped out! Personally, I dont believe in coincidence anymore. All goes according to His plan. Thanks for the hospitality!
God bless,
Tony

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Outstanding recap and photos PB. Looks like you all had a super time and glad you had a safe trip. Great story about the two guys who "happened" into your group.

Driver523

Thanks PB and all your crew for your involvment every year ( Those at the Gathering and back home ), These trucks are a huge deal and it gets harder each year to move them around, the trucks have been the main draw for every Gathering and I've been to every one of em---The girls again did a great job with a year of planning and keeping us busy which is a good thing--we'd probably get into too much trouble just sittin around, And the tour of the State House and the State fair that LT. Baird set up was one of the best things I've attended at a Gathering, that along with the things we got away with becouse no one was looking made for a absolutly GREAT time---A BIG THANK YOU to the city of Indianapolis also, The Gatherings show that we can still take care of ourselves and get it done-------THANKS TO ALL----Driver

sandcobra164

The pictures are amazing!!! I really hate that I couldn't go along for the ride. I read TinWoodmans thread and I knew it would be an adventure getting "Proud American" up there as she seems to love throwing a wrench into a fan most of the time. I also knew you had Tony and Troy right there with you and they are two Soldiers that make a 1SG Proud as they never let the mission slip. One of them makes some very good SOS gravy to put on a biscuit as well. Nice Pics PB. If anyone is wondering, Troy is the almighty fixer of trucks and he's good, Tony has the gravy recipe in his head. He'll let you watch him make it but he won't write it down or let you take notes!!!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Just copied a few pics off the GT site at the Indiana State Fair. Some are static display and some are prep to lead the Veterans Parade at the fair:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks