• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Met a fellow SS-er today on a traffic stop

Maverick1701

Well I was on the way back to the office after working a small wreck on US287 (in Estelline, TX). I noticed what I thought was a 'mog driving south. I thought eh...what the heck Ill see if I can get a stop on it so I can BS with the driver (in hopes that is a fellow SS member). So I get behind it and can't find a stop...well crap. So I start looking at the rig and think this is the ambulance version of either a mog or a pinz. Surely if someone has something this specific, they have got to be a member of SS.

So I run the tag and no return....got my PC for a stop! So I stop the guy and we start BS-ing about his rig (turns out it in a Pinz and not a 'mog...my eyes have failed me :(

He said he username was Dan-something (I couldn't hear over the traffic...maybe danmartin?). He purchased his Pinz in california and was driving it to florida...at 15mpg. I snapped a few pics and we shared a hand-shake. Then he was on his way.
It was pretty awesome to meet another fellow SS-er.
If anyone else ever runs up US287 near amarillo let me know.

pics are attached...pics or it didnt happen.

WP_000601.jpgWP_000602.jpgWP_000603.jpgWP_000604.jpgWP_000605.jpg

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats some adventure in a 712. FL has a ton of Pinzgauers and I'm sure we'll see more of this one. I'd bet we had 10 of them at the 2007 Steel Soldiers FL Rally.

Hecklebone

I would not be happy if you pulled me over to "BS".
Local PD, sheriff, state patrol and more have stopped me in my 718.
Also, in my state, license plates only need to be 'available for inspection' and not mounted. So you can't run mine.
I have been stopped three times in one day to "BS". Their chiefs all got personal letters from the governor.

Can we just get a quiet salute and BS at the gas station?

Last edited:

Maverick1701

I would not be happy if you pulled me over to "BS".
Local PD, sheriff, state patrol and more have stopped me in my 718.
Also, in my state, license plates only need to be 'available for inspection' and not mounted. So you can't run mine.
I have been stopped three times in one day to "BS". Their chiefs all got personal letters from the governor.

Can we just get a quiet salute and BS at the gas station?
I am sorry to hear that you feel that way. Every stop I make is legal and valid in the eyes of the law. A person can raise heck and write all the letters they want but in the end it is still a legal stop.

Folks with your mindset are why I make it a point to get one (or a few violations) on any MV before I initiate the traffic stop. That way I am covered legally for initiating the stop.

On the pinz I had impeding traffic (which you get on almost every MV) and the license plate deal (I don't have my plates displayed on my M35 either...just like youhecklebone...but this pinz did have plates displayed). That way if someone did want to complain, I had valid PC for their traffic stop.
Also if I walked up and saw a kilo of cocaine, heroin or something sitting on the seat (or the stop turned into something larger) I would have a valid stop for court.

As for the Q about getting a quiet salute at the fuel stop. Maybe some places will, but not if I see an MV running through my county. I take every chance I get to meet other SS members.
This is a VERY close knit and social hobby with LOTS of AMAZING people. There have been several times where I have been stranded in my MV and the only thing that saved my butt were my MV contacts through SS.
On the flip side there have been others who have been stranded in (or around) my area and the closest person to help was me. Putting a name with the face is "fun side" off the hobby. If you choose not to participate in the social/fun side of the hobby that is your prerogative but do not expect me to change what I do. That won't happen.

Last edited:

bulldawg

wow, and I thought my trip after buying my 712 ambulance was something. I drove it from NW Arkansas down to Houston at a little over 13 mpg.

quickfarms

So was it registered to the buyer or seller? I am wondering why you did not get a return on the plate. In CA after you sell a vehicle you can send in the portion of the title that releases the seller from liability, I wonder if DMV suspends the registration at that point.

I do not get upset with LEO's. if they want to pull you over they will. If they pull you over just be professional and give them the paperwork and answer there questions with a yes or no.

I just pull over when it us safe to perform a "safety check" if they are following me and most of the time they are no longer interested.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't appreciate getting stopped just to BS either.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suppose the best course of action is just to issue a citation to head off the complaint and a foil hat for good measure.

As far as salutes, is it proper to salute a truck?

Kloakndagr

I was a city cop and I always liked to "BS" with at the time, rat rodders. Most were more than happy to talk about there rides. Now I'm retired, I have no issues with BSing with those on the line. I'm sure you'd feel very different, if that same cop was the one rolling code to a car accident involving you or your family.

Last edited by a moderator:

TehTDK

If I had a MV I would not mind to be stopped for a chat and etc by different LEO's. But being stopped by the same one again and again for various causes I would take offence to :p. When I was driving a cab we got pulled over regularly by the same cop for running blue lights inside and he claimed it was against code since blue lights was reserved for emergency vehicles. Technically he was right, but that reservation only counts as to the lights mounted on the outside of your car and NOT the interior lighting :).

CliffSegar

Maybe the name was Dan Robbins? And that would be a 712AMB model Pinz.20130810_085051.jpg
My kids ran across him on the side of the road somewhere in AZ or NM. His fuel gauge died around Phoenix and he was carrying the can toward the next exit. They did stop and give him a ride to the station - and back.

trooper632

Wow a complaint letter to the chief from the governor, I would frame that one. I actually like the complaint letters because they are unfounded when they are looked into. And people like that, that complain over those kind of things usually have it coming to them.

KF4GFG

His name is Dan Robbins. My husband Wesley and I had the pleasure of meeting him in Cordes Lake, Arizona. Wesley and I were headed to Albuquerque, NM from Glendale, AZ when I saw a 712AMB on the side of the road with a gentleman carrying a jerrycan walking away. Since my father owns a Pinz, I knew he would skin me alive if we drove past. So we stopped and luckily for Dan, we were carrying a full gas can in the back of the truck. He stated that the gas gauge broke while passing through Phoenix. After giving him our can of fuel we followed him to the nearest gas station to make sure he got there safely. We gave him postal addresses and email addresses of my Dad in Tennessee and wished him well. I am happy to see your post and know that he is doing well. I hope to continue seeing posting of others who run meet up with him as well.

KF4GFG

Hi Dad. And no we did not give him a ride. We gave him the spare 5g fuel we had in the back of the truck and then followed him to the gas station to make sure he made it ok. Don't be surprised if he mails you a plastic piece from the gas can. It fell off into his tank when we were filling it. Cynthia

ducer

I have no problem with cops pulling me over to BS, infact I kind of enjoy it. My best friend growing up his dad was the chief of police, my other friend his dad was captian of detectives his cousin a patrolman, my uncle a seargent in the next town over. Yea I grew up in police stations and around cops and firemen. They have a tough and at times crappy job if I can make their day a little brighter by shootin the shet with them then I'm ok with that.

Denny

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I enjoy such a contact....after the contact. You have to admit, it is a little traumatic to be pulled over. I would rather not be pulled over by a LEO just to chat. If I see a LEO tagging along behind for more than a few minutes, I pull over. He can join me if he wants to. That way he does not need a PC other than checking status of a stopped vehicle.

Bob

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mavrick,
I have no problems with you stopping me to chat. Or any Leo out there. I figure that it just might be a mite funny that a single MV( we all know they travel in packs) on a Sunday afternoon would raise some questions. And I wouldn't have anything in, on, around, under or over that would be thought of as "illegal".

BM59_Fan

I have lost track of the number of times I have been pulled over because some LEO (Las Vegas City, State, or SO in various counties) wanted to have a better look at my 710K. The training NCO at my local National Guard Armory (Transportation Unit) also asks me to bring my truck ny occasionally so the solders can see what they might come across when deployed. I have also been asked to assist with my pinz in a couple of searches where their 4wds could not hack it. With chains on a Pinz not very many places with snow you cannot get into or out of. Pulling cars out of ditches after a slide on an icy or snow packed road is also a snap. I have also had mine in three parades so far here in Las Vegas NM, I am known as the guy with the weird (but cool) truck. Now that I have a M116 to tow behind the Pinz it will get even more notice.

airmech3839

I remember being followed on like 4 different occasions by LEOs.... not once pulled over but I am sure they ran my tag... Just funny how if its green and mean it must be fun, bad or illegal... mine is fun and bad!! :p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks