• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Its that time of year again, get ready to recoat your Unimog canvas before winter!

saddamsnightmare

August 13th, 2013.Its that time of year again! I just finished reoiling the cab top canvas on my Swiss Army S404.114 with its new (in 2008) Beachwood Canvas top. I had the top made by a gentleman, Bill Campbell, down in Paris, Texas, and considering that this truck sits out 365 days in a year, so the application of Canvak canvas oil is generally a good thing to do before winter gets here (again). My rear cargo top finally blew out from old age (original 1963 issue item), so it's going to be set aside and I am going to try to get a simpler OD canvas cover made up for the rear end, with a cargo flap. For some very strange reason, known only to the higher ups in the Swiss Army, I have yet to see a cargo/troop carrier S404..14 Swiss with a back flap on the cargo bed. These guys must be serious polar bears, as I cannot imagine what it must be like riding through the Swiss Alps with not rear cover on the cargo bed...... When I bought the truck in 2007, it had the bost beautiful triangular hole rotted through the rear center floorboards in the bed where the cargo flap should have been..... Nobody's gotten into a war lately with the Swiss, if they can handle riding in the back of a Unimog in winter, likely no sane army commander is ever going to try to take them on, I suspect! Have a Grand Evening, folks!:naner:

TehTDK

For some very strange reason, known only to the higher ups in the Swiss Army, I have yet to see a cargo/troop carrier S404..14 Swiss with a back flap on the cargo bed. These guys must be serious polar bears, as I cannot imagine what it must be like riding through the Swiss Alps with not rear cover on the cargo bed.
Most of our military trucks doesn't have a rear flap either so we sit in the back much the same in freezing temperatures :p. Hasn't killed me yet, all it takes is proper clothing. Back in march I was getting my certification on a Mercedes-G Class jeep with no windows, but at the front, and a "canvas" cover serving as the roof, covering the "bed" and back down the rear. Needless to say driving a "open" military jeep in freezing temperatures is a learning experience in how to dress properly :p. Thankfully I got it right and did my 40km certification drive without any issues and asked to take 40 more :p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks