• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce radio antenna, 5 ton style

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

I think the placement of the antenna for as per the TM for the deuce puts it up WAY too high, where it whacks EVERYTHING, and comes into contact with overhead wires.. I am going to mount my antenna "5 ton style" using the 5 ton antenna bracket on the fender, as per the 5 ton radio installation TM. It's still high, but not nearly as high as the "correct as per the TM" M35 install kit...

Your thoughts?

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Only issue I see is the increased time/hassle factor to opening the engine access door.

Otherwise looks good.

Am also envious your Deuce has a warm and dry place to sleep.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll live with that. Some hassle when I open the door (almost never) or getting zapped by low hanging electric wires (very possible)

11ACR-LT

That's how I mounted mine, I also didn't like the pole mount behind the cab, way to high, fender placement makes tying down alot easier. I didn't get the rear brace with my mount,didn't know about it, I mounted the bracket farther forward and put the scoop onefacing the rear.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a nice setup - if you're still concerned about height, why not mount the antenna braket to the side of the bed, or to the top of the front bumper?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe it is the same "sugar scoop" bracket as shown on the fender installation. The bracket heights and edges are just about perfect for the weld-in. The cables run together along the top of the toolbox, under the cab. They are tied up inside the drivers fender. The pass. side cable goes along the front under the frame to the drivers side antenna mount and they go from there to the rear. This all keeps them away from the hot exhaust side of the engine. Passing under 13FT bridges with the antennas up is a plus also.

CGarbee

Well, I just got a box from Jeff at Tactical Truck with the antenna mount setup from a dump/tractor that mounts the antenna over the vent window just in front of the driver's door... I'll take pictures of it all when I gets mounted on my truck (assuming that I can find the camera...I seem to have misplaced it this week.. :(

vinny-socom1

Well, I just got a box from Jeff at Tactical Truck with the antenna mount setup from a dump/tractor that mounts the antenna over the vent window just in front of the driver's door... I'll take pictures of it all when I gets mounted on my truck (assuming that I can find the camera...I seem to have misplaced it this week.. :(

old post but did you every get the photos?

Vinny

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is hand access to that area inside the cab I think. My concern is the thin sheetmetal VS the moment of that antenna espcially the VRC-12 style one.

Jimma

Cool ideas. I have been thinking about mounting an antenna but was not sure what others were doing. Keep posting pics of your mounting locations and the necessary brackets.

digitaldust

is there a TM for the deuce antenna mount / setups ?
I have a M109 and a M35 I want to mount antennas on, I'm thinking of mounting on the back of the M35 cab like a light pole
and on the M109 I have no ideas

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think they are OK now. As for the mounts on the side of the bed, it's fine if the bows and anything else there is non-metallic. If the intention is to use the antenna, best performance keeps the element away from metal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks