• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crankcase breather filter

Rattlehead

Bjorn, what did you use for your filter? I see the pic on your website, but cannot tell if the canister itself is a homemade job or something else.

I am thinking of putting one on my truck, the existing vent is making a mess of my front axle. I plan to put a petcock in the bottom for easy draining. Just wondering if the gases will cool enough to condense if I just weld a top and bottom end to a 3.5" diameter metal section of exhaust pipe that is about 6" deep. Painted green, of course. You don't want it to condense too fast in the tubing going to the canister either. If ice were to build up in cold weather and restrict the flow, it would blow out your crank seals.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
See images below for the installation. The filter is a Racor CV820.
I have measured the crankcase pressure before and after installation of the filter and found it to be about 1/50 psi (1/2 inch of water) in both cases. The gauge used was a Magnehelic type, available on ebay for about $10.

The filter canister has a sump and collects about 80 ml of oil after 1000-2000 miles of driving.
The fumes are recirculated though the engine air intake.

Let's see, what else, well, I have had it plumbed like shown here for about 5,000 miles and the engine seems happy.

More info in MVM August 2003 article. The Racor filter cost me about $200, but you might be able to find one in a truck salvage yard.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks