• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Civilian wheel cylinders for a Goat?

BillIdaho

Ok, I am tired of constantly dealing with the brakes. Does anyone know if there is a civilian alternative for my wheel cylinders? (Boy I miss the old Gama Goat website) Something I can go to NAPA or O'Reily and pick up? I just saw 6 complete new wheel cylinders on Epay for $100, and that got me to thinking about my alternatives.
Also, how long should a guy plan on to rebuild/replace all 6 brakes cylinder assemblies?

(Related: In a recent conversation with an old retired vet, that happened to be a Goat mechanic, he claims it was easier and faster to simply go to a hardware store and buy the rubber "seal" that holds in screens for a window screen. He said that sealed just as good and all it needed was a dab of silicone sealant where the two ends met. Whadya think?

(And this is on the hopes the master cylinder is still good!!)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I rebuilt all of mine with locally available rebuilt kits (NAPA).

I may still have an empty box, to find the kit number.

All you need to know is the ID id the wheel cylinder.

They use a cup seal, so your guys info sounds wrong to me.

BillIdaho

Oops, I meant in my original post was the window screen rubber was for the brake drum. Not the wheel cylinder. Apparently when one removes the brake drum, one usually needs a new seal, hence the hardware store parts.
How long is this endeavor going to take?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its a full day's work.

I don't have any old boxes.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you plan to go swimming, you can omit or reuse the huge drum o-ring. Otherwise bring one to your local o-ring suppliers and get them to order some for you. Mc Master Carr has large id O-rings too.

Charlie 6

I recently completed a complete overall of my goats brake system: master cyl, cyls, lines, shoes, springs.
I thought the 6 cyl on eBay for 100 was a good deal since I was replacing all six.
The old goat site had the following info listed on it concerning cyl. Give numbers to NAPA guy and see what he comes up with, please post what you find out.
The brake cyl are common Wagner Lockheed same as for the M715.
NAPA - wheel brake cyl kit PN 54
Wagner cyl assembly, hydraulic brake, wheel FSCM 7L639
MFR/ PN F 72766
DLA700-85-1139

Wagner Lockheed
FD9346

frenchman

i also bought some of those wheel cylinder's goof stuff when you need it as for the drum seal go to a place that sale rubber stuff find some in a store called delta rubber you buy it by the foot almost the same size
frenchman
p.s i try the windo screen rubber not to good because it is hallow inside and dos not make a good seal

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks