• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Classifieds... Only place for ads?

FSBruva

Good morning-

Here's an excerpt of a convo had in the deuce forum, but I think it warrants discussion/voting/decisions.

houdel said:
FSBruva said:
Dakotafear -

We actually have a section for stuff like this - "Classifieds" in the left hand column under "Resources." You can post an ad for free, and deal with every interested party directly, without cluttering a forum designed for "Topics restricted to restoration, repairs, and other stock truck issues."

Matt
Matt - what you say is exactly true. However, it seems that most everyone with a "One Off" item to sell (or for that matter an item to trade or a want to buy) posts it in this forum. The classifieds seem to be the most overlooked forum on the SS board, other than the late "Random thoughts from the Latrine Wall" forum, which I believe was deleted due to lack of interest. I see two possible outcomes to this situation:

A. Allow "One Off" want to sell, want to buy and want to trade postings in this forum, all commercial sell/buy/trade postings go in the classifieds.

B. Do not allow any want sell/buy/trade postings AT ALL in this forum; if they pop up here the moderators can move them to the classifieds. Perhaps allow a single "see my want sell/buy/trade posting" in this forum to draw attention to the new classified posting.

If it were to be placed to a vote, I'd go with option "A". I don't mind, and in fact enjoy, seeing an occasional "want sell/buy/trade posting" in this forum. There aren't that many that it clutters up the forum and it helps me to keep a pulse on what things are available out there, what to expect to pay for parts I need, and helped me get rid of some of my unneeded parts in exchange for some stuff I needed.

As I recall, we very recently had two members pedaling air compressor wrenches in this forum and no one seemed to mind. In fact, I bought one of the wrenches ONLY because I saw it posted here. I did not NEED an air compressor wrench, but the price was right and it became an impulse purchase. Chances are if it came to the point that I actually NEEDED an air compressor wrench there wouldn't be any listed in the classifieds and I'd have to spend considerably more to buy one from a commercial supplier.

I'm not trashing you here or even disagreeing with what you say, as you ARE technically correct, just offering another viewpoint.
Houdel mentioned that he liked option "A."

I think that option "B" is better, because I used the classifieds to successfully find the two parts I needed, within about a week. Also, every response to someone's sale announcement bumps that thread back to the top, and gets in everyone's way. I think notifying everyone of a new ad by posting a short thread, eg "Check out my D-turbo for sale - classifieds ad # xxx" is a great way to direct attention without getting in the way too much.

Thoughts, comments, flames?

Matt

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to see a counter for the number of times a classified ad is viewed.

The classifieds is a listing of items for sale. An "ad" is by definition tossed in the face of the reader/viewer wanted or not.

ACE posted a few items on the forum the other day and I would perhaps never look for them, but since they were "advertised" I might consider buying, advertising at its best. :)

It's all a matter of definition. I like them posted on the forum, a lot better than some of the general conversation subjects I see, for example.
Presented on the forum, the item can also trigger interesting discussions.

As I see at this point we are now having an issue with posting of a single part or item to sell to other members in the forum, as for the one to cause the problem here I think I will give my 2 cents. Since i've been a member here i've seen many posts of items for sale.. im sure we all have been guilty once of this, I too have bought a thing or two when seen on the main forum, and really never looked at the classifieds since it was noted it was down. I'm not here to cause waves or a stir, I just think we are now starting to get technical of little things. I feel if procedure is to be followed, then make a forum note and we should be aware of the changes and follow to the best of our ability. Following the conflict at this time, i as a member have decided not to post items for sale anymore and will continue to view the material as a " help" forum. I hope this is not too harsh for others, I'm just giving my two cents in posting of items here.

Regards,

SierraHotel

Personally I do not care either way and will leave the decisions to the ones who run the board (i.e- work) and the purists and revolutionaries.
I look at the classified section every day as well as through the new posts...somehow I’m always a day late, even though I’m not a dollar short. ‘Course with the new clutch system and having the flywheel being turned, I’m getting real close to being a dollar short.
I too bought an air compressor wrench from RDM, but at that price and the fact it is basically the only way to adjust the air compressor, I would have if it was in the classifieds. I also got a PM from a competing seller that, at first I thought was RDM. While I’m not entirely sure it was intended to cut into RDM’s sales, it did seem kind of strange. I decided to stick with RDM because…
1. He came up with it first,
2. I already placed an order with him,
3. He is a long time participant versus the short time of the competitor.
Sorry if I hijacked the thread, but the point is that I do check the classifieds daily (even though I do not really have any spare change), but also do not mind seeing it in the forums as a trigger. I look at threads mostly based on the subject line…

CGarbee

I prefer to see them in the forum...Heck, if you don't want them in the related five ton, m37, trailer, etc. forums, create one just for stuff to sell... I "never" look at the classifieds (just don't think about it), but notice things in the forums (especially since I use the "posted since last visit feature"). I also like to see the discussion about items...

Case in point, I just got a new radio instal kit form Jeff at Tactical Truck. Somebody had posted a while back about antenna mounting, and we had several folks who mentioned having mounts like what I wanted, a few that has different ones I knew nothing about, and Kenny posted that Jeff had complete sets at one time (not sure he still does, but he had one for me last wee...). I'd been a while, but I did some searching on old threads to not only find the info on who had what, but to read about the pros and cons of different setups...

Perhaps sales in the forum should be by non-commercial interests, although I'll admit some of us hobbiest are likely on the boarder of being commercial... :)
I think the classifieds are good for long term sales of stuff by commercial/semi-commercial folk: ie, post your truckload of surplus axles, tires, etc. for long term sale perhaps??? Maybee as a source of revenue for the site?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This topic came up a while back. Chris wanted folks to use the classifieds and post up a teaser thread in the forum. Now with that said, I would prefer to go back to the old classifieds that were part of the forum. These are still here, just locked. Again, this is just one lowly opinion. I will add that several times there are things that pop up for sale that I've not been activly searching for but when the show up, I buy em. Oddly enough, even when I'm not shopping, one of my favorite sections of MVM is the classifieds. I rarely check them here for some odd reason. Oh yeah, can someone tell me exacly what qualifies as a "One-Off"?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is to become part of the forum, either in a separate section like it used to be or in conversations, perhaps, we can add WTS before posts we want to sell, WTB before posts we want to buy. This way anyone who is not interested in reading "classifieds" can skip over them. Personally, I've sold things through the classifieds as they are set up now, but I am not sure they get as much traffic as the regular forum. I also have hit the forum with items of interest that I either have for sale or that I know are for sale (most recently, I posted about the dump truck troop seat kits that a friend has for sale) mainly because I think guys might be interested but never see these items in the classifieds.

WTS-check my ads in the classifieds for manuals available.

It would be nice if everyone would use the classifieds as they exist now. I never did see the other system in operation. The only problem that I see from a "teaser" posting is when the thread gets off into "I saw one of those back in 1944 at Waterloo" or "Gee, guys, I've got one of those I'll see ya for cheaper" or gets hi-jacked somewhere else.

If the classifieds here get the reputation for sales and deals available, then maybe the members and others will put that section in their favorites list along with e-bay parts and other forums. I know I'd rather deal with the people on this site if possible than look elsewhere for parts I need.

FSBruva

dakotafear-

I didn't mean to make you shy away from posting things to sell here.... and for that, I sincerely apologize. I did take the hint - the moderators didn't pull the threads regarding things to sell. Thus, they must be acceptable. I overstepped my bounds by telling you to use the classifieds. That wasn't my place, and I'm sorry. Please don't give up on the forum because of one asinine post from a jerk. The forum loses in that one.

My point -
I was just wanting to jumpstart the conversation and open it up for discussion. And, by the definition of a forum, as in, "a place to share ideas," I think we are doing just that - sharing ideas and discussing options. I was just trying to discuss building a better mousetrap, that's all.

I mean, we have the architecture already available in the classifieds, and they work great. We tried the forum threads for selling stuff thing before, but it was locked, because we had a "better" alternative. And I think we are trying to walk a VERY thin line to say, "well, your classified can't be in that section because it's not "commercial."

I guess it just boils down to... "Why the heck do we have a classifieds section?" Why not make them the definitive, "place to go" for all your low-down deals on member to member selling/trades? if you are looking for a piece of gear, you post a "want ad." If you are looking to get rid of a piece of gear, you post a "want to sell ad." Then, you can post a hybrid thread, "I just posted a want ad for a C-turbo, but am curious what everyone else's opinions of the C vs. D are." This way, you get the stimulated discussion ABOUT THE TURBO, and keep the classfied part segregated.

Again, I was just posting this thread to run it up the flag pole and see who saluted. I think the early poll responses are pretty telling. No big deal. I love this forum, and couldn't get by without it. But, I also recognize that it's OURS to do with as we please. We own it. We can make it whatever WE want. So, I was just wondering what WE thought about this subject. No offense intended, and now I know.

Kenny - I think "one-off" is best described as the leftover part(s) from an upgrade or mod of some kind. Still totally servicable parts in good working order, just not required anymore. Shortly, I will have several deuce wheels to sell because I upgraded to M135 wheels. Or when I upgrade to LED composite lights, I will probably sell the old ones.

Okay, enough of a ramble for now.

Matt

Matt, after reading your thoughts here I understand and respect the forum rules and code of conduect/ ethics, so to make things blunt.... NO WORRIES ! I Think this was a good jump start to get the reactions of fellow members on posts and locations. I have seen many posting here and if im interested, i look.. if not I keep scrolling. No bad blood here. I think its a 50-50 on posting things in the classifieds, i personally dont look there, and feel if you do have quantities, or a supplier then you should be made to list in classifieds, if its a "one thing" item, post it and go from there. I agree the main forum is a higher traffic area and reaches everyone that might have an interest in it. As for postings myself, I will continue if and when i have or need parts, just will check b4 siring up the bees nest..... as for your assistance on postings, we need to monitor each other, and keep the site running to help each other so we can all enjoy or green toys..

Thanks for some excitement !!!

houdel

This topic has resulted in some spirited discussion. As Bjorn pointed out, a "want to sell/buy/trade" posting in the deuce forum also leads to some interesting discussions and information sharing. I had a very good experience with a "want to sell/trade" posting I put in the Deuce forum. I had a cargo bed front canvas I no longer wanted because I installed a one piece vinyl cover on my cargo bed, and I needed a front shackle. SS member "B" needed a front canvas, had an item he wanted to trade but it was something I didn't need. SS member "C" needed member "B"'s part and had a spare front shackle. I sent my canvas to member "B", he sent his item to member "C", and member "C" sent me the shackle I needed. Everyone was happy, we all got what we needed, and the only cost was what it cost each of us to ship our part.

But to get back to Matt's original point - It kind of looks like the moderators are going to allow "want to sell/buy/trade" postings in the forum as long as they are not blatently commercial postings. As long as the posters preface their postings with WTS, WTB or WTT, those who are not interested can simply skip over the posting. Now I have to redo my classified for my Budd wheel sockets, I can't seem to find it since the classified forum crashed!

pa.rich

If one puts something for sale in the forum and there is no replies on it, it is going to dissappear. If one posts a for sale thing in the classifieds, it will be there until it is sold. So I guess if you want to sell it, you have a better chance of views, if its in classifieds. Right?

poppop

This may sound dumb but I am going to put it up. I am not very organized and don't have a list of all the things I need for my projects. I do have it in my mind someplace though. I very seldom look at the classifieds because I am not on the lookout for a certain part, but if I see it mentioned I say, hey I need that and buy it. Just my 2 cents worth.

m35a2cowner

Classifieds

What would you think about putting a push button at the top of the latest forum posts that stays there permanently. Push the button and you see the latest 20 posts to the classifieds (retain the present classified section as well). This way classifieds would be both in the high traffic area and short enough to see the latest posts at a glance. It would keep the classifieds out of the forum but always make them highly visible to anyone looking at the forum? Just a thought.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks