• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pics of deuces with 46" XL's

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: pics of deuces with 46" XL

Looks like alot of fun. We dont have any places like that out here with it being so dry. About 10 years ago there was a resevoir nearby that was almost empty while repairs were made on the dam and there was alot of smelly mud. Everytime I went there I broke spider gears and CV joints on my dodge. Are you able to turn the wheel all the way with out rubbing?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: pics of deuces with 46" XL

he who patiently looks through ALL of the images is rewarded with some nice winches at the end..

rizzo

VB- we are very careful. we also lost a friend to a clevis throught the windscreen. Thanks for the reminder.

DJ- yes turns fine lock to lock. air assist works nice. I'm very happy with it. It will not turn them all the way when stopped, but if just moving a little it works great.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Towing anything with a towstrap is dangerous. So is winching. However, with a winch, you don't need to be IN the vehicle to operate it. Wish the military made a winch for the deuce with a remote control - stand back 50 feet, and winch away in safety!

rizzo

maddawg308 said:
Towing anything with a towstrap is dangerous. So is winching. However, with a winch, you don't need to be IN the vehicle to operate it. Wish the military made a winch for the deuce with a remote control - stand back 50 feet, and winch away in safety!
I think you need to look a little closer at the winch pictures. They are on the last page

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
rizzo said:
I think you need to look a little closer at the winch pictures. They are on the last page
All I see on the last page are chicks, a dog in the bed of a pickup, and two guys hugging. ???

rizzo

haha, MD that is part of opcoms little joke. Wenches are on the last page. funny OPCOM.

we use 6 inch recovery straps on our recovery trucks. we don't alow chains, towstraps (metal hooks) cables or winching at the mud bogs.

we don't alow winching because we cannot verify the operators knowledge and ability to operate his winch safely. I have only two trucks that would not come out with a strap. Those we used the wrecker, lifted one end and they came out no problems.

Milemarker has a new winch that gives a readout on how much you are pulling so you know if you are close to the winches capacity

nickd

I can understand not allowing tow straps with metal hooks ,cable slings and winches but arent chains the best way to go? A 20,000 lb tow rated chain when it brakes does not whip like a nylon sling.

rizzo

nickd said:
I can understand not allowing tow straps with metal hooks ,cable slings and winches but arent chains the best way to go? A 20,000 lb tow rated chain when it brakes does not whip like a nylon sling.
how big is a 20,000lb rated chain? and out of the 100+ trucks at the bog how many had a 20k chain?
What good would a 20k chain do you if you are pulling out a stuck 7k truck with another 7k truck in the mud with bad traction? If you can't get traction you have to get a running start. Would you do that with a chain? I see your point and agree with your conclusions, but they are not for a mud bog.

the other day my 1008 was stuck close to the road so I used a chain and my small semi and it pulled it right out no problem.

One thing to keep in mind is at a mud bog you have all sorts of people some don't know anything about recovery and others have been doing it for years. so you have to have a set of rules that will be safest for all. I agree that a strap that is like a sling shot does not seem same but it absorbs the shock at the hook points and helps keep them from failing.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I used to do a lot of 4-wheeling and bogging. Improper hooking points are probably the largest contributor to strap related injuries or deaths. I have seen a lot of stupid stuff done over the years when trying to recover a vehicle. People hooking straps to hitch ball, using cheap Chinese clevis or d-rings, hooking straps around stock 5 mph bumpers, hooking to sway bars, hooking to shocks, people yanking with winch cables, etc... Personally, if traction is at a minimum, say in the middle of a bog, I would rather have someone yank on my vehicle with a 20k strap vs a 20k chain. As was said before, quality yank straps are made to give and stretch, chains do not. Shock loading is what breaks parts and creates projectiles. Every recovery situation is different and anything will snap or break if abused or overloaded.

That is not to say that if I was stuck and all the truck needed was a little extra traction, not a yank, that I would refuse a guy with a chain.

The key is quality of mounting points and quality of recovery straps, as well as some common sense and experience. My $.02

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't get me started on straps again. I've been in the off road and recovery world a long time. I can't tell you how many times some fool stood by with his winch truck waiting to see how we would free a truck without his assistance. I've had QUALITY straps for many many years. When I first got into them the only maker was the Snatchup Strap. I still refer to all my straps as Snatchum straps. They are an incredible tool for off road retrieval. Straps made out of surplus webbing and the likes look like recovery straps but aren't. They can't take the shockload of a real recovery strap. Avoid those Chinese made clevises and hooks. Trailer hitches are a no-no too. Straps need to be closely matched to the weight of the recovery vehicle as well. The average jeep should do well with a 2" (20,000#) strap. Bigger Jeeps with truck axles and the like need to step up to a 3" (30000#) strap where the full size pickups work best with a 4" (40000#) strap. Using a 4" strap with your stock Ford Exploder wouldn't be much different than using a chain, just no way to stretch the strap. For the deuces I have a 6" strap. It works well but I need some extra lengths for short recoveries. Another thing, it's just not good to double back a strap. You decrease it's ability to stretch and increase it's ability to break. The middle of the strap is not designed to be a mounting point. Straps are your friends if you use them correctly. Last note, I now buy all my straps from www.strapman.com He has a portable shop that he takes to shows. I little odd to talk to but can make any strap to any length. He's quite knowledgeable in the field.

rizzo

I agree guys. At gotmud4x4.com events we use 6x6 trucks for recovery most of the time. It is easier and safer to do 90% of the recoverys with qualified people. You also have the fact of a 12-20k truck is pulling out a 5-8k stuck truck and less jerking is involved. If you run the numbers that will reduce the chances of an accident dramitcally. When someone is really stuck they will just "wait for a 6x6". that ends up having us do that hard ones which lowers the chances for an accident even more.

This is a hard subject to talk about because not all situatins are the same and somone might argue that "it has always worked for me". well the argument in recovery is not that it doesnt work, but is it the safest way to do it.

thanks for the link Ken

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks